Issues updating a referenced VW file.

tl/dr:  how do I ‘force update’ a reference viewport to recognize renamed Classes  and/or new Classes in the referenced file.

BACKGROUND:

My standard workflow for elevations and sections with ACAD was to reference the plan file into an elevation file as I was drawing.

That way I could have multiple instances of the plan file rotated and cropped for each elevation and detail. As changes were instituted on the Plan file, each of the referenced instances would update and I could then adjust the relevant elevations.

I’ve carried that workflow over so I can keep moving forward with the projects currently on the boards (as I’m still figuring out the 3D to section/elevation functionality in VW) while I’m adjusting to VW.

ISSUE:

Currently I’m drawing the project plan in ‘PLAN.vwx” and drawing the elevations in ‘ELEV.vwx’ with the plan file  reference into the elevation file with a ‘refence viewport’ that I’ve copied and cropped multiple times.

example:

755915548_referenced2.thumb.jpg.c6287f8a0551f1554915854af47a2182.jpg

An issue I’ve come across is that if I change a Class name in ‘Plan.vwx’ it does not update and reflect this change in the ‘ELEV.vwx’.

The information on the renamed file becomes inaccessible. The referenced Class name stays the same and the renamed Class does not import.

Even if I go back to ‘PLAN.vwx’ and restore the Class to its original name the information on that Class is still no longer accessible through the viewport reference.

This also doesn’t work if I add a new Class (say “L-SECT-03”) to ‘Plan.vwx’ this new ‘L-SECT-03’ will not be added to the ‘ELEV.vwx’ working file.

QUESTION:

So how do I ‘force update’ a reference viewport to recognize changed Class names and/or new Classes?

First of all, this sounds like an awful lot of work maintaining multiple files when you do not need to do so.  That said, I also understand the need to move forward on existing projects in their current configuration, but definitely look into the section view functionality in VWX.  It's not difficult and that will be a huge boost to your productivity.  

In the navigation palette, select the references icon at the top (should be the last w=one on the right).  When you select that, every file you have referenced in should be visible.  If there have been changes made tot he reference file, the name will appear in red text.  Off the top of my head, you right click on the referenced file to brig up a window that will allow you to update.  I believe there is also an option to auto-update those files.  Does this help? 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, scottmoore said:

...In the navigation palette, select the references icon at the top (should be the last w=one on the right).  When you select that, every file you have referenced in should be visible.  If there have been changes made tot he reference file, the name will appear in red text.  Off the top of my head, you right click on the referenced file to brig up a window that will allow you to update...

Scott thanks for the response.

Yes - I need to learn more about the section view.

I've tried it but so far not getting good results... or at least not the result I want.

Will keep researching and watching videos. I've seen in the forums that many people just draw over the base section views to get the desired results.

Or have multiple section views on top of each other...

Honestly I'm thinking of getting a payed VW help on this because it is one of the reasons I've moved to VW.

I'm sure I will figure it out shortly!

That said--

I am familiar with the navigation references menu.

My issues right now is that clicking on a red referenced file and choosing update doesn't update the classes if they have been renamed or if new classes have been added.

For the moment I've re-referenced everything and had to re annotate unfortunately and am just not messing with class names.

But this is not ideal obviously for class management.

On 11/2/2020 at 12:16 PM, hollister design Studio said:

Scott thanks for the response.

Yes - I need to learn more about the section view.

I've tried it but so far not getting good results... or at least not the result I want.

Will keep researching and watching videos. I've seen in the forums that many people just draw over the base section views to get the desired results.

Or have multiple section views on top of each other...

Honestly I'm thinking of getting a payed VW help on this because it is one of the reasons I've moved to VW.

I'm sure I will figure it out shortly!

That said--

I am familiar with the navigation references menu.

My issues right now is that clicking on a red referenced file and choosing update doesn't update the classes if they have been renamed or if new classes have been added.

For the moment I've re-referenced everything and had to re annotate unfortunately and am just not messing with class names.

But this is not ideal obviously for class management.

That does seem odd.  I don't recall ever having that issue.  It sounds like a bug.  Are you on 2021?  

In 2021 I just tried a referenced file via viewport (which is how I always do references so that might be an issue).  I tried renaming a class in the reference file to the name of a class I had in the primary file.  Made sure to save the reference file but left the file open.  I  updated the reference and it worked as expected.  I then changed the name of another class in the ref file, saved it and closed it.  Updated the ref in the primary and it still worked as expected.  Might be worth a call to Service Select if you have that service.  

Edited by scottmoore