Overall scale issue after upgrading from 2020 to 2021

sbecraft

I upgraded my ConnectCAD workspace from 2020 to 2021 and now any new socket or devicebuilder device is half the scale of my previous devices and sockets from V2020.  The scale of the document is 1:1 and was a document made with the ConnectCAD 2020 template.  I can copy "old" sockets and its size stays the same (larger).  Is there another scale that needs to be adjusted?  Thanks

image.thumb.png.f19fcf029400b14874fc4ff5ca67c062.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

ConnectCAD 2021 sizes schematic objects like sockets according to the snap grid settings. This allows you to draw a schematic at any scale. The "normal" metric snap grid is 4mm so it's possible that the old version document is different. Would you PM me the 2020 document so I can investigate?

Conrad

• 3 months later...

I have been digging into 2021 and have encountered this issue as well. I have a follow-up question to this though. Is there a way to take our old devices (drawn in VW2019 and VW2020) and make their sockets and text conform to the new, auto-scaling of VW2021? We use a 1/8" snap grid for our projects so whenever we create new devices in 2021, the sockets are smaller and our custom device label has smaller text and is narrower. I do not mind the smaller text and I know that I can edit our custom labels to fit the width of the block, however, changing the the label symbol, changes all of the devices proportionately. Whenever I import our old devices from our Workgroup file, I choose to use the destinations symbols and everything, but they still come in exactly as they were drawn. I really don't want to have to lose our entire device library.

In the screenshot, the bottom device came out of our library and the top device is a new device from the Device Builder. They are both using the same custom label symbol.

image.thumb.png.b6d8b8825839d12d7f58a7fed85e55eb.png

@Ljones Ah wait! We do not release software without testing but we also can't predict every eventuality. This particular snag is an unintended consequence of an honest attempt to help users other than yourself who want to be able to draw schematics at any scale. Rest assured that we are working very hard right now to please everyone!

Conrad

• Like 1
On 10/29/2020 at 5:24 PM, Conrad Preen said:

ConnectCAD 2021 sizes schematic objects like sockets according to the snap grid settings. This allows you to draw a schematic at any scale. The "normal" metric snap grid is 4mm so it's possible that the old version document is different. Would you PM me the 2020 document so I can investigate?

Conrad

@Conrad Preen - as you know, i've inherited an entire 2016 connectCAD workflow, and am migrating it to 2021... one thing in our workflow, is that the snap grids are all set to 3.5mm.

i'm curious if you recommend i switch all the 3.5's to 4's in our templates / workspaces...?

image.thumb.png.fd00ffcf2b667cbba8275280a7cbb662.png

image.thumb.png.639fe8d8ae553f584931b5da0449450a.png

as always - thank you so much!

m

• 7 months later...

I have seen this as well going from 2020 to 2021, I have not seen this directly but had to fix some of our files that hold our symbol library.

@ConnectCad Team ping me if you want one of my bad files.

The good news is I have figured out what happened and have a procedure to fix the problem in a file having issue.

In this example this is what my symbol was looking like before fixing:

1975065653_SocketsShrink.png.cc0e7445123669c1f8d2473a102f8b05.png

The problem is that a number of System Symbol objects got corrupted (which looks to be only the ones actually in use in the file at the time of conversion)

In my specific case it was (but it can be more depending on which ones are in use in the file that got hosed):

1483500901_SystemSymbols.png.406bfc2e9f1e5fe042593c97fa797433.png

What happened is for some reason these symbols have been scaled down exponentially:

1506506885_ScaledDownIssue.thumb.png.2bfbe3aecc4e5ce2813ccaf2a39992a7.png

To Fix:

1. Open both the Vectorworks file that is having the issue and known good file that is still working.
  2. For each bad Socket Symbol that is not working in the bad file:
    1. Right click each bad System Symbol in Resource Manger and edit the 2D component. You can see which symbols are bad by drilling into a bad looking device and checking which style you are using. In my case it was the ones I was using in this example is:
      • skt_con_IN
      • skt_con_OUT
      • skt_txt_L
      • skt_txt_R
    2. Exit the symbol without doing anything - This will update the symbol in the file so that is then can be replaced into a know good working state.
      • Note if you have 100's if not 1000's of symbols in your file, Vectorworks will single CPU thread crunch away 😞 for a while (100's has taken 3-5 minutes to crunch on my maxed out 16" MBP) depending on how many symbols have using this nested symbol in the file.
    3. Navigate to your known good file Resource Folder (while your bad file is the active file), and drag in the the Known Good Symbol to Import and REPLACE the existing symbol in the file.
      • Note this does not work if you do not do step 1-2 first. Believe me I have tried just importing and overwriting the folder but Vectorworks will not override all of them at once for some reason (I suspect corruption as doing it one at time also didn't work). I found for each symbol that does not prompt for overwriting or not actually overwrite, I would have to do step 1-2.
      • Click Replace when prompted:
      • 1578655675_PromptforOverwriting.png.9835e76d47d8a26f1bcd1794bf4016ef.png
    4. Repeat for each bad System Symbol
      1. After each replacement you will see all your symbols start to get back to normal, one replacement at a time. Below is an example after I fixed the skt_txt_L symbol, but before fixing the rest.
      2. 693745283_PartialFixed.png.3ff8fd12513ea262d181daeb0ce4b8c5.png
  3. After replacing the bad skt symbols everything has now returned to normal, and we live to draw another day:

1953667432_ReturntoNormalFixed.png.75925961b85777065af3083a61fe5619.png

Thanks

-Kevin

Edited by Kevin Krautle
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Kevin Krautle said:

@Nikolay Zhelyazkov I DM'ed you a copy of both the bad file i had and after I fixed it. Sorry for the delay, busy times.

- I think that this is something that should be already fixed in the coming service packs. Cannot confirm for sure, since you have attached the already broken 2021 file, instead of the pre translate 2020 file that I have requested. Here is how you can test if this issue is already fixed. Open your 2020 file in VW 2020. Make sure that you activate a design layer and then save the file. Now open the file in VW 2021. When the file opens the design layer should be active and there should not be a scaling issue.

Let me know if this is the case or not.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• 2 years later...

Hello, I am having an issue with the text sizes of Circuit numbers, and Net Labels. I use the ConnectCAD 2021. I want to edit an older design created probably in ConnectCAD 2018 (not sure which the original version is, since the original designs are not mine). When I open the older file in ConnectCAD 2021, it is converted to fit the new workspace. After the conversion, all the circuit numbers and all the net Labels (arrow connections), have shrunk dramatically, to a point that they are not readable when printed to paper. The print outs of the original file in ConnectCAD2018 where fine, and all text was readable. My first thought is that it is a grid issue. When I double click the grid icon, the grid setting is in 2 instead of the recomended 4. However there is no change in the text size when I put it in symmetrical 4, and I don't think there is anything I can do to change the text sizes. The funny thing is that the text in the sockets and the devices in general, matches the size of the original file in ConnectCAD 2018. It is converted properly. Any ideas on how to solve the problem? 

connect CAD text issue-remarked.jpg

13 hours ago, Photis Michael said:

Hello, I am having an issue with the text sizes of Circuit numbers, and Net Labels. I use the ConnectCAD 2021. I want to edit an older design created probably in ConnectCAD 2018 (not sure which the original version is, since the original designs are not mine). When I open the older file in ConnectCAD 2021, it is converted to fit the new workspace. After the conversion, all the circuit numbers and all the net Labels (arrow connections), have shrunk dramatically, to a point that they are not readable when printed to paper. The print outs of the original file in ConnectCAD2018 where fine, and all text was readable. My first thought is that it is a grid issue. When I double click the grid icon, the grid setting is in 2 instead of the recomended 4. However there is no change in the text size when I put it in symmetrical 4, and I don't think there is anything I can do to change the text sizes. The funny thing is that the text in the sockets and the devices in general, matches the size of the original file in ConnectCAD 2018. It is converted properly. Any ideas on how to solve the problem? 

connect CAD text issue-remarked.jpg

- Can you share or PM me the 2018 file so that we can test what is going on?

There was a really strange solution to my problem. All it took was to have a minor editing of the circuit "number" text in the object info on the right panel. I just added a "space" character and the the whole net came to the the right proportion (including the net label) of the new grid. Later on I found a way to edit multiple circuits by selcting all of them and edit the "signal" text in the object info. Just added a spacem click on the next tab, and then back to the signal tab deleting the space character. Now the whole design is in order. Very strange I have to say... 

10 hours ago, Photis Michael said:

There was a really strange solution to my problem. All it took was to have a minor editing of the circuit "number" text in the object info on the right panel. I just added a "space" character and the the whole net came to the the right proportion (including the net label) of the new grid. Later on I found a way to edit multiple circuits by selcting all of them and edit the "signal" text in the object info. Just added a spacem click on the next tab, and then back to the signal tab deleting the space character. Now the whole design is in order. Very strange I have to say... 

Your edits are triggering a redraw of those objects most likely. You can just use Tools-Utilities-Reset All Plugins, which should reset any plugin objects in the drawing (of which a Circuit is one). It takes a few moments depending on how big your file is. I usually do a save first as well.

• Like 1