Multiple Windows within Vectorworks

turnerhoskins

Question

Perhaps there is a good reason why this isn't yet a feature - but it would be so helpful to be able to have multiple drawing windows open within the program, enabling them to be viewed on multiple screens. I'm often needing to work between drawing tabs on a project, and whilst moving between tabs is okay, seeing them side by side would speed up my work flow for sure! 

I know this is common across other software programs as well. 

8 answers to this question

I know this feature exists in VW2020 and VW2021. I think it was in VW2019 also, but am not positive.

Look in help for Multiple View Panes. You can set up as many panes as you can stand and each can be in a different view or rendering mode. Once you have multiple panes you can right click on the pane label and Create Floating View Pane that you can put next to your drawing or on a different monitor.

Thanks for the speedy reply. 

I perhaps haven't used the best terminology - what you have mentioned is multiple views/panes of the same drawing/document.

What I mean for a wish-list is to have different documents open on different panes. You can currently have multiple document tabs open within vectorworks but it would be great to view these on separate screens.

On 10/29/2020 at 3:49 AM, turnerhoskins said:

Hi Pat

It looks like that feature is only available on a Mac.

It seems to be available on PC also (at least from 2021 onwards). You need to click the little double box next to the minimise window (top right corner of the file window, not the VW window) and then you can move the drawings around as desired and view them side by side.

(Still with I had a MAC though)