Projekt Sharing - various question

Hi

i still got a few ps-server questions:

1) the shared folder accessed by the psserver is the place where all project files, managed through the running server app are stored in, right? (i think YES)

2) is it possible to run more server-app instances on one server machine

3) do you maybe recommend running psserverd on more machines maybe? Or is one server for more projects ok? (mainly for load balancing and reliability issues)

4) how many projects are possible on one server-app? we have more server-computers: a mac mini and a cylindric mac pro.

5) if another colleague wants to participate he first has to open the vwxp-file on the shared folder, right?

6) why didn't you set up a REAL SERVER WITH USER MANAGEMENT, PROJECT MANAGEMENT... like the hungarians did, too. Revit does it for example as well... so sad 😉

Edited by matteoluigi
39 minutes ago, matteoluigi said:

Revit does it for example as well

As far as I remember Revit is "serverless" and works like Vectorworks. One Projectfile on the server and everyone creates a workfile, that is saved locally.

Edit: Sorry. Just saw that Revit now supports both. File based and server based.

Edited by elepp
28 minutes ago, elepp said:

Revit now supports both

the last time I worked with revit, it was server based. There now exists also the option of shadowing a project between two offices in two different cities/buildings... so you always work with your "local" server. We had the technical-engineer-files (heating, air, electro sanitary and the according wall openings) directly linked together, too, working from two locations, connected via vpn

• Administrator

@matteoluigi thank you for your questions:

1. Do you mean “Project Directory”? The Projects Directory is the folder from where your server-based projects are served. The Projects Directory can contain all your BIM or CAD files - Project Files, Working Files, PDFs, VWX files, etc. It can also include your files from previous versions of Vectorworks. I am sure you have a well-defined structure for their files (e.g., /DATA/Drawings/...). It would be best to think about where your Project Files will likely reside within your project structure and use the most common folder. Your Project Directory can be “/DATA” or “/DATA/Drawings/Current” if you only wanted to be more specific. 

2. Yes, it is possible if you know how daemons work, but we do not recommend it. Why are you looking for this solution?

3. We recommended one psserverd per machine. The psserverd is light-weight. It can handle thousands (if not millions) of requests per second. If you are running the psserverd within your local network, I do not see a need for load-balancing.

4. The psserverd can handle hundreds of projects at the same time. Do you have BIM or CAD files across multiple machines? Your goal should be installing one psserverd on the machine (or NAS device) where your files are stored.

5. Your colleague will use the File -> Open Server-based Project File menu command. 

6. We are always looking to improve our solutions. Could you please share the current roadblocks or limitations you have with our existing solutions?

• Like 1
13 hours ago, JuanP said:

1. Do you mean “Project Directory”? The Projects Directory is the folder from where your server-based projects are served. The Projects Directory can contain all your BIM or CAD files - Project Files, Working Files, PDFs, VWX files, etc. It can also include your files from previous versions of Vectorworks. I am sure you have a well-defined structure for their files (e.g., /DATA/Drawings/...). It would be best to think about where your Project Files will likely reside within your project structure and use the most common folder. Your Project Directory can be “/DATA” or “/DATA/Drawings/Current” if you only wanted to be more specific. 

We use a whole network drive, just for our projects. You can find all (more or less) active projects in that folder, for every folder there are subfolders with a whole lot of various data for the projects.

2. Yes, it is possible if you know how daemons work, but we do not recommend it. Why are you looking for this solution?

not really neccessary. Just an idea. I made a little linux experience (Debian, ubuntu) but it's a few years ago.

3. We recommended one psserverd per machine. The psserverd is light-weight. It can handle thousands (if not millions) of requests per second. If you are running the psserverd within your local network, I do not see a need for load-balancing.

One server per machine should be ok. If the server really can handle that much requests, well, then it should be fine.

4. The psserverd can handle hundreds of projects at the same time. Do you have BIM or CAD files across multiple machines? Your goal should be installing one psserverd on the machine (or NAS device) where your files are stored.

Sounds great! I remember testing PS in 2015 and it was really slow ;-D

5. Your colleague will use the File -> Open Server-based Project File menu command. 

👍

6. We are always looking to improve our solutions. Could you please share the current roadblocks or limitations you have with our existing solutions?

I'll keep that ideas in mind. Actually we don't really need a system which connects more servers in different locations. I will also be happy without a kind of "bim server" like in Archicad. However a slim web-interface for controlling the server-status could be an interesting idea.

thank you for your questions:

Thanks a lot for your really detailed answer!