Shadows on Elevations

MGilc

Question

Hi, 

So I am looking to add shadows to the elevations.  I give up.  As a Revit guy, this is so easy to do in Revit.  What am I missing in this?  

Would really appreciate a basic instruction.  Everyone seems to discuss it without mentioning the basics.

Appreciate it.

19 answers to this question

This is easy in VW's as well.

1) Add a Heliodon Object (AKA sun) to one of your Design Layers. Make sure that the settings are correct as to Lat/Long, Month/Day/Time, etc.

2) Then in Open GL (and other some rendering modes, if you have RW) shadows will be generated.

2a) Make sure that you go to View>Rendering>Open GL Options and check the "Use Shadows" option. You might also want to change the quality (of both the rendering and the shadows) from the "Low" setting (which is the default) to a higher setting.

Ty for your reply,

Using your method I can get shadows in the design space and can see the light in the visualisations light.  

But if I go to my sheets there are no lights appearing or any shadows.   Is there a particular setting then for the viewport in OI?  My aim is for hidden line white elevations showing shadows.  

Thank you for your advice.  I really appreciate it.

I went through your method and understood it, but for some reason my elevation did not change.  

Changing the classes to any thickness has no effect on the look.

I'm finding it really difficult to make my elevations look any good.  I've attached a screen shot. 

I have this weird blurry line, and varying thick and thin line weights.  Why is this?  I am working in 3d to be clear.  

Edited by MGilc

Not entirely sure, but my guess would be that elements in your plan (walls, windows, etc.) are not set to use "Class Settings".  That is the only way that changing class settings in the viewport would affect the line weights.

If you edit your wall style(s), you can select "Edit Wall Attributes..." and make sure the Pen Style and Color are set to Class Style.  Also the Thickness. Do this for all the walls you are using.

I did notice that you used a "Viewport" instead of a "Section Viewport".  May be not a big deal, but in 2021 we have issues with our shutters, and in Section Viewports that problem goes away.

One last thing.  The blurry line is a function of the Sheet DPI.  If you want to eliminate it, set it to something other than 72, which is the default.  We set ours to 180.  Right-click the sheet with the viewport in the "Navigation - Sheet Layers" palette, and select "Edit".  The change the Raster Rendering DPI to whatever works best for you.

However, don't do this on every sheet, as it will increase your file size when printing a set to PDF.  Just do this for the sheets with elevations.  And I noticed your scale of 1:100.  Our typical is 1/4".  I don't know if this affects the DPI setting effects. 

• Like 1

One more thing.  Make sure the Heliodon is on a class that is "On" in the viewport.  We create 4 classes (Heliodon-Front, Heliodon-Rear, Heliodon-Right, Heliodon-Left) and place a Heliodon object on each one.  Then we play with the particular settings of each one to create the desired shadows on that particular elevation, turning on the appropriate class for the appropriate elevation.  That way you don't have to change the settings of the Heliodon object for each different elevation.

We are not concerned with the correct sun location for our elevations but rather getting a nice field of depth for each elevation that a good shadow creates.  If you are presenting to a client and need an accurate sun and shadow pattern, then created another class with that particular Heliodon and use it for that purpose.

• Like 3

Make sure the objects you are using are set to "by Class".   that includes walls, doors, windows, etc.  So when you are in Sheet View, and you have a Viewport, that Viewport can be manipulated by Class.  With the Viewport highlighted, select the Class button in the Object Info Palette.  You then select all classes and Edit them, changing their color and line weight.

Not sure if you are missing one of my steps here, but if you attach your drawing, I can take a look and see what would have to be done to make it work.

• Like 1

M

Hi BPsabatier, 

That's really kind to offer.  I have uploaded a file that I am working on.  It's in VW 2019 Mac, metric.  

The elevations have odd thick lines in places, and the windows look terrible (especially the corner window).  I could never get shadows to work either.  I'd really really appreciate if you did take a look at it!

Best, 

M

Test Elevation Forum Schemevwx.vwx

MGilc

I just opened your file, and have a few questions

When you mentioned that you feel you are having trouble 'making your elevations look good', what exactly are you not happy with?

It seems you prefer your elevations to be in a hidden line mode as opposed to a rendering that actually uses real world materials and textures on the various objects. 

• Like 1

Kevin K, 

Thank you for your response.

Several things look terrible.  

1.  There are random line weights, random dark lines, 

2. The corner window looks awful -  really thick line weights on the North Elev.

3. Some windows have dark line widths fully around, some don't at the sill

4. Sometimes really smudgy lines for some reason behind the vector lines

5. Cannot get shadows at all (less important)

What I'd like is clean line weights that.  After I would like to put on a thicker line weight around the elevations (Bpsabatier mentioned above about doing this in Viewport Annotations, but not sure where to do that - I assumed by right clicking the viewport and edit annotations? Is that correct?)

In terms of materials, It's a slate roof and white render walls.  I haven't begun to delve into the world of materials yet but definitely want to.

Got it.  Your responses are helpful.

Yeah, Bpsabatier is correct regarding drawing a darker outline in annotation mode. Pretty quick to do that.

I am addressing your issues in the file you uploaded and will send it back to you in a bit.  It seems you are in England so not sure if you will be available for much longer, as it may conflict with your dinner hour ;-)

Sometimes I have found, since I have been at this for many years and am also a VW trainer, it is easier to fix up your file, THEN it becomes easier for you to see what was done to resolve your issues, as opposed to just doling so one item at a time.

Don't get too married to using a Heliodon for lighting in your elevations, unless you really do need to know how the sun will affect each face of your walls, etc.

It is more about getting the shadows on your elevations to look good.

• Like 1

So, I tweaked your file a bit and added some items here and there.

**Be mindful that my file addresses your issues, but take from it what you will.  The point of this is to show you why and where you were having issues with YOUR file.

Referring to your comments in the previous email:

1) the random line weights, for the most part,  had to do with how you set up your wall styles relating to the line weights you had selected. Some of the components were using a pretty thick line.

2) Corner window, again, had to do with the line weight thickness for each part of the window. I just set them all to .25 mm for now, so feel free to modify those.

3) Same situation as item 2 above.

4) **this is important, the DPI for the elevations sheet layer was set to 72, which is NEVER really acceptable. Normally I would suggest not setting it below 360 DPI for most situations.  That is why you were getting the 'fuzzies'

5) In Hidden line mode you will never get shadows.  Has to be set to OPEN GL, Custom Renderworks,  or, as I had done on the west elevation 'artistic RW using lines and shadows. 

I made some notes on the Elevation sheet layer that may be helpful.

I realize a lot of this will be Greek to you and you will probably have additional questions, but just work through it and compare my file to your original and you will note some subtle differences. I did zip the attached file to keep the file size smaller, so you will need to uncompress it first before opening it.

I hope this helps you a bit.

Test Elevation Forum Scheme KEVIN v2019.vwx.zip

• Like 4

Hi Kevin, 

Wow!!  Are you serious?  Thanks so much for taking the time to do that, and write instructions!  The elevations look excellent!  I will go through your email and the advice you have given in closer detail.  

I cannot thank you enough.  I may have some queries on how you did what you did, which I really hope you don't mind me asking.  

Amazing man thanks!

Best, 

Michael 

Then.......THEN....................when you have a bit more general knowledge of VW..

Not so much for your construction documents, but more for your Client....

You give them a little 'shock and awe' so they can visualize exactly how their home will appear after construction !  :-)

Recognize your design with a few material choices on my part, which you can ignore?  :-)

1027663548_FRONTPERSPECTIVE1.thumb.jpg.9c4c85941451664dd9acdf8519839af7.jpg

• Like 2