BENEFITS OF TAPERED EXTRUDE

Kevin K

You all are probably well aware of this, but the 'Tapered Extrude' tool can facilitate some cool stuff, that can't easily be achieved by other methodologies for say...creating a label for a wine bottle,  in seconds. Very flexible, as well, if you would need to quickly adjust the arc chord or sweep. I simply created an an arc by 3 points in a top plan view, referencing the diameter of the wine bottle, then did a tapered extrude with no angle,  and voila !

Just a little 'FYI' for those who may be interested.  :-)

Note the rendering....

979075118_SILKSPICE.thumb.jpg.8890a5d3750495b67a5c75cf7e04d6e6.jpg

• Like 3
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
4 hours ago, Kevin K said:

You all are probably well aware of this, but the 'Tapered Extrude' tool can facilitate some cool stuff, that can't easily be achieved by other methodologies for say...creating a label for a wine bottle,  in seconds. Very flexible, as well, if you would need to quickly adjust the arc chord or sweep. I simply created an an arc by 3 points in a top plan view, referencing the diameter of the wine bottle, then did a tapered extrude with no angle,  and voila !

Just a little 'FYI' for those who may be interested.  🙂

Note the rendering....

979075118_SILKSPICE.thumb.jpg.8890a5d3750495b67a5c75cf7e04d6e6.jpg

Is that a 3D salad?

If you make an arc....give it a none fill, then use tapered extrude, you will get a nice clean object, which you can then apply a texture to, etc.  if you leave the arc as a solid, then it is 'pie time'. :-)

Try the arc with a none fill, then tapered extrude it.....

line-weight, you had previously asked why not a regular extrude....well, as you now realize, if you extrude an arc using just the basic extrude function, you get the pie shaped object...

...and yes, Stephan, a 3d Greek salad to be precise. :-)

if you click on that attached image it should open it up with better resolution, then drag it off to your desktop so you can open it and zoom in a bit to see more detail.

6 minutes ago, Kevin K said:

line-weight, you had previously asked why not a regular extrude....well, as you now realize, if you extrude an arc using just the basic extrude function, you get the pie shaped object...

Yes I see now. Useful to know.

One of those VW inconsistencies for no apparent reason.

Edited by line-weight

Heck no.....wayyyy too much work making all those objects in the salad...:-)

I buy quite a few items from the Turbosquid site....then import them in OBJ format.....that seems to be the best import format to use to keep all the original materials and textures intact.

I use Cinema 4d to get the best render results, but Renderworks can do a decent job for most instances...

3 hours ago, Stephan Moenninghoff said:

BTW the object arrays are all done via Marionette. Each green box has a Marionette of just a single symbol which is scaled, rotated and displaced with controlled random values. It's the next best thing to a real gravity and collision control function which Vectorworks does not have. 

I think I can spot a few radishes and tomatoes which have intersected with their crates....