Poured concrete footings tool

salukitd

I just use Wall Styles and Wall PIO Tool.

Like a single Component 60 cm Concrete Wall.

So I can also control their heights later by Story/Level Settings.

(Below and above the actual House, I always have an additional Story

set for footings and flat Slab Roof to control attic Walls and such

by Story Levels)

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, zoomer said:

So I can also control their heights later by Story/Level Settings.

I do the same, except without using Story/Level in my models.  You just need to set up your wall styles based on the system you're using.

If you're looking for a way to show a structural slab with thickened edges: https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2021/eng/index.htm#t=VW2021_Guide%2FFloors_slabs%2FEditing_slab_geometry.htm

Edited by E|FA
18 hours ago, salukitd said:

Is there a tool to create poured concrete foottings?  If not, how do you draw your footings?  I just drew and outline then extrude along path around the slab.

TIA for any help!

Pat

I use the wall tool, and set the components of the footing to what I want by modifying a "standard" VW resource to what I want including a custom graphic attribute set for the sheet viewport to indicated the footings in the way contractors in my area are used to seeing them.  Which is dashed lines with no fill paralleling around the foundation walls.

Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 9.52.44 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 9.47.46 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 9.45.56 AM.png

• Like 1
On 10/24/2020 at 6:21 AM, salukitd said:

Is there a tool to create poured concrete foottings?  If not, how do you draw your footings?  I just drew and outline then extrude along path around the slab.

TIA for any help!

Pat

I'm using the Framing Member tool with symbols for the profile in a lot of situations that I use to use Extrude along path like this.

Handles most situations except curves.

• Like 1

Sorry I really have to ask the question: do you really need to model footings? Sometimes perhaps,  but generally For typical construction drawings the only views we would see them would be sections. If the footings are super simple to model then of course. Often however the footings are quite elaborate and much easier to just draw in the vp annotations of the section viewports.

That said I have picked up a few tips from this thread for when I do model footings. 🤩

The issue of how far you go with the model + how much you detail directly in VP annotations is really interesting to a newcomer like me + I'm always keen to hear what other people do. My background is in construction/fabrication + doing v detailed 2D drawings so moving into 3D my natural inclination is to want to try + replicate that in the model, but I know from what I've seen/heard that this isn't necessarily the best approach: only model what is absolutely necessary. But easy to get carried away...

As a learning process, and if you have the time it’s good to try your hand at modelling  more than what you really need to. You learn stuff which will likely come in useful and the more you practice the quicker and more useful it becomes. That said, and as you say yourself @Tom W. it’s easy to get carried away.

We do mostly architecture and our basic model set up consists of just walls, slabs, doors, windows, roofs, spouting, downpipes, decks, exterior balustrades. All that provides for pretty complete plans and elevations and a good start on sections. We sometimes might export it to twinmotion to get some nice 3D renders..

We are starting to model more interior equipment and furniture as Ou symbol library improves.

The rest we generally cover in 2d annotations.

Sound advice 👍

The fact is I'm really enjoying learning/using 3D so even if some of the detail isn't strictly necessary I'm having a ton of fun doing it! Besides, the way I drew in 2D for 12 years I realise now was so stupid (in terms of gaining the benefit of all that VW offered, even just for 2D workflow) that I'm finding I'm not spending any longer than I used to on (now) 3d models but obviously getting a hell of a lot more back in return.

I'm heavily involved on the construction side (managing the works on site) so always want to see exactly how the building's going to be put together at design stage + often not going through a planning process so can get straight into the nitty gritty from the off. Whereas I know most architects it's a gradual process where detail gets added incrementally + often never gets taken to fully detailed construction drawings + are instead more indicative (if contractor design portions)

@Boh As a person who has to coordinate with the underground structures of a building or infrastructure, I certainly appreciate accurately modeled footings 🙂

In my work, hidden structural and building services can cause a lot of trouble in the landscape if not coordinated.

Some examples... Pools close to buildings, interior and exterior plantings over deck, green roofs, and exterior plantings near civil services or retaining structures are some of the many things that create coordination issues as a design evolves.  This is especially true when I am creating landscape structures such as pools, shade systems, and pole mounted features that all have their own structural needs that need to work with the other disciplines.

I had a stadium job in Kuwait a few years ago that had a bunch of underground structures (building basements, utility tunnels, vehicular ramps, and the typical architectural structural considerations.  One day during VE, the mechanical team decided to redesign the underground ventilation services in 2D without consulting the rest of the team.  That was a fun few weeks during collision detection...

• Like 1