Little Red Dot to Close File?

willofmaine

Question

6 answers to this question

N'mind, figured it out: Window > deselect "Use Application Window."

I'm trying to maybe start from scratch in VW 2021 (new template, workspace, etc.), so suddenly I'm pretty much clueless about everything that for years now I've been relying on migrated features for.  We'll see how far I get with this whole learning-Vectorworks-all-over-again thing...   ...   ...

Take your time and learn the new ways. Lots of good things. 

And unless you spend a lot of time comparing different files side by side, you might want to try the Use Application Window setting. I much prefer it as the palettes dock into the window and are always in the same place. Also, if you switch screens often (I have a second screen for my laptop at both home and the office), only having to resize one window instead of each open file is a real benefit.

I am always surprised by all of the new things that I have been doing the old hard way just because I know how and never bothered to learn the new way.

Historically I've sized the Object Info and the Navigation palettes so that they are almost the full height of my monitor, and one sits on top of the other.  A small portion of each is visible, which I can click on to quickly switch from one to the other.  I do this to minimize the need for scrolling in either palette.  I don't think I can do that with the "Use Application Window,"  but luckily I just alway use the same computer/monitor for VW.  (Actually, I guess I could try combining the systems, and just float only the Object Info and Navigation palettes, and just loose an inch or two of real estate at the top).  Phew, hopefully that was all clear as mud...

You are absolutely right about how the learning curve flattens, and stays flat, once you know how to do something!

Okay, I'm trying it with "Use Application Window" and Tabs.  Tabs are okay; maybe even growing on me.  At least I can quickly close files with them, same as clicking on the red dot.  I've docked the OIP and Attributes palettes and made them as small as possible, and I've docked the Nav palette and made that as big as possible (all three vertically).  I use both a lot and really want them to be "omnipresent."  I often look at the OIP to see or confirm what I've selected, and how many there are.  I've set Command-I to call up the Properties dialogue box (pretty much the same as the OIP(?)...) for when I need more info or settings for a particular object.  We'll see how it goes!