Worksheet columns

spries

Question

8 answers to this question

You can do calculations in database rows. It just has to be the same formula for every subrow in the database.

Try this. Create a file and put a couple of rectangles in the file. Create a worksheet with  a database criteria of Type is Rectangle. I am going to use Row 3 for my example. Set the formula for Column A to be =Width. For Column B to =Length. For Column C. =A3*B3

When you recalc the worksheet it will take the current height and width of the rectangles and multiply them together to get the area.

You don't even have to use cells in the same row. If you set cell A1 to be 2 and set formula for column D to be =C3*A1 you will get the area of both sides of the rectangle.

The only real limitation to databases is that everything must either be a Record.Field or a calculation. You can not just type something into a cell unless it is a Field.

HTH

@Pat Stanford You are correct. However, if I want to enter information that is not in the drawing or in a record I hit the limitation.

For example, I have an LED wall with multiple LED panels, Bumpers, cables etc. 

If I want to add a column for the weight or a column with the power consumption for each line item I can not do that.

Sure you can. You just need to either pick one of the user fields to store the information or add a custom record format to store the data.

Since Databases are completely dynamic, unless the data is stored in a way that is truly associated with the object, there is not way for VW to keep the data with the correct objects when the database changes (whether that is due to adding or removing objects to the drawing, changing the sort order, or SUMmarizing the data.

@spries Pat is correct. Even though it is frustrating at times, what you're after is possible. You need to add data fields to an existing record applied to the objects, or create a new record and add it to the elements you're querying. The database row criteria only specifies the objects in the file it is looking for. You can create a data column from any record field those items have attached. Each column can only reference one record field, but you can have empty rows if the data is not applicable (you can't mix record fields in the same column). It's easy to create a note record that is blank, once it's attached to the objects and referenced in the worksheet column, you can fill it in directly from the worksheet.

Edited by ScottLebsack
9 minutes ago, ScottLebsack said:

you can't mix record fields in the same column

Actually you can, but it takes some potentially tricky IF and/or CONCAT functions. And then you have a cell/column with a formula instead of a Record.Field entry so you can't edit what is displayed.

Sorry, the completionist in me is coming out this morning.  ;-)