How to create new plant symbols

Kapa

Since I design mostly residential landscapes, I need to create a larger array of plant symbols than is supplied by the program. I created new symbols through the resource browser by duplicating and editing existing symbols. All looked good when I finished. When I went to place the plant, it showed up in the graphic symbol window. However, when I went into edit plant catalog, the new plants did not show up. Am I approaching this correctly, or is there a better way to do this?

So much to discover and learn,

Kapa

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

2D plant symbols should be placed in a special symbol library folder to show up in the plant editing feature. The folder is:

System folder/~2D_PSyms/

This is where the 55 default 2D plant symbols are located. Once you place a symbol in this folder, it will be available to the Edit Plant Catalog command. You should also take a look at the documentation on plant symbols.

• 2 months later...

Robert, I have been unsuccessful in placing these new symbols in the 2D folder you explained above and make the symbols show up in the edit plant catalog.In the resource browser, I chose the plant and then "move"d it to the 2D symbol folder. Then I renamed it to fit the "PTemp.."

name. The symbol looked different from the others and still did not show up. Can you please be more specific in the steps required to do this. Thanks

The symbol would still not show up on the plan when I used the place plant tool. The locus point would appear but the outline would be absent and there would be no ID under the object info in the resource browser. I read the info on pg. 5-8 in Landmark manual. I have also read pg. 5-14 in Vectorworks manual and have been successful creating patio symbols and placing them in a folder. Should I be creating the plant symbols through the 2d symbol folder? I have not experimented with that yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Robert,

I have already read this thread. My question is "How? What are the specific steps I need to take to CREATE another PLANT symbol and make it part of the existing plant symbols in the system folder. I thought taking an existing symbol within the plant catablog, duplicating it, modifying it, renaming it, and then moving it to the 2D folder would work. Is the problem in the way I moved it. Or should I start from the 2D folder and move it into the plant catalog? Where do I get the needed support from here. I wish the manual was more specific in this area.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The reason I referred to the thread is (not the least) one of terminology and just understanding the difference between a "plant definition" and a "2D plant symbol". They are different things, but the way you describe them in your last post makes me unsure if you understand the distinction. Are you wanting to duplicate symbols to make new plant definitions or plant 2D symbols? I recommend using the Edit Plant Catalog command to create, duplicate, and maintain your plant definitions. If you want other "looks" for your plants, then add the desired symbols to the 2D PSyms folder.

If you want phone support, call the support number listed at our website.