Landmark Drip outlet modification CRASH CRASH CRASH

Luciole Design

Question

Vectorworks 2021 is crashing about every third time I move the connection point or adjust drip line emitter direction. As per your tutorial, I'm adjusting the drip line before connecting it to a valve. Sometimes deleting the drip polygon and redrawing helps, but the crashes still continue.

Most often it's a "beach ball of death forever" freeze, but sometimes it's Flash! Gone! No Vectorworks.

Restarted computer. Still crashes.

iMac 27" retina 2017, 40 GB RAM, Vectorworks Landmark 2021. Mac OS 10.15.7.

VWX drip zone.png

VWX-drip-outlet.png

Edited by Luciole Design
Delete large vwx file (uploaded to troubleshooting)

13 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
1 hour ago, Luciole Design said:

Don't install the updated library on a Mac!

Yeah, you have to de-quarantine the zip file, before unzipping. Use the terminal to do that:

xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /Users/vstanev/Downloads/LandscapeIrrigation.vwlibrary.zip

xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /Users/vstanev/Downloads/LandscapeIrrigation.vwlibrary.zip

Change the path to the zip as you have it on disk.

Also, pease make a duplicate of the original file before overriding.

37 minutes ago, Luciole Design said:

For what it's worth, the bug affects the Windows version of VectorWorks, too (Windows 10). So no hope in switching!

I'm not sure what do you mean in 'no hope in switching'? Can you clarify?

It is OS independent bug, and i'm trying to help you by sending the file directly as I was under the impression you are on the mac.

• Like 1

I'm going to wait for SP2, where the bug will hopefully be smashed. 

For now, it seems that drip zone polygon size and complexity affect the crash, so I deleted the zones that caused crashing and re-drew multiple zones in the same area, then linked them with lateral lines to the valve. Not foolproof, but it did reduce the number of crashes and let me finish laying out the drip zones.

The patch has problems with Apple (unsigned? possibly malicious code) and VectorWorks (incompatible plug-in with this version of vwx). So expecting Apple to sign a plug-in and Vectorworks to do a recompile is beyond delusions of grandeur, and these things will be done for SP2 anyway, I imagine.

Thanks for all your help!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
3 hours ago, Luciole Design said:

The patch has problems with Apple (unsigned? possibly malicious code) and VectorWorks (incompatible plug-in with this version of vwx).

FYI, the. Vectorworks plugins are not signed. The problem is that when you download a zip on the new Mac OS, it automatically get quarantined, so nothing you unzip from it would work, unless you de-quarantene the zip itself on your side before unzipping.

Of course, waiting for SP2 would work, and it will be (is already) fixed there.

Funny,  I ran the terminal command on the zip file to de-quarantine it and got the same result as before. Maybe you have to run it twice, once for the .zip file and once for the unzipped library file?

Still, Vectorworks says "incompatible with this version" so it must be seeing it and trying to run it... 

Thanks for your help! At least it's a known bug and will be (has been) fixed!

Here's a curious issue with Landmark 2021. When I create a drip area the flow goes off the chart when I create a branching drip area. A snaking drip area has a more accurate flow calc but the PSI required is crazy high. Attached is a screenshot showing the issue. I have reported this to VWX but have not heard any response. This is a big enough issue for me that I can't use 2021 for irrigation. Most of the irrigation here in California is now drip, mostly in-line drip tubing. Fortunately this is not the case with 2020. Any thoughts on this?

Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 7.42.58 PM.jpg

BRANCHING: I get the same crazy results as you. Vwx does say something about strange results in their help page... right they are!

I think the discrepancy between manual calcs and vwx is they seem to use more inline drip, even though the border is a different class for the lines (no dots). 

I add a note saying to divide the drip zone area if needed, and ignore the drip zones, just in case. The numbers seem close enough, and I'd rather vwx estimates higher than lower.

Not sure they can fix this - I remember something about looped lines being very difficult to calculate for computers. I think "branching" means connected at both ends of the drip in a loop (pvc or poly at the edges, water can flow from both ends of drip lines). That's not a great term - misleading, since branching usually means like a tree branch, at least to me ("divericating" in biogeek speak). 

FWIW, I place drip emitters at the plants and link with poly tubing wherever I'm not using a grid.

Maybe someone from vwx can chime in on this? Fixable or better to simply eliminate the botched "branching" option? 

Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 10.54.04.png

Edited by Luciole Design
added formatting to text.