Heights/spot elevations on site model/objects in section

Elin

@Pat Stanford I understand. The stake was "set elevation to site model" but I also tried to change the mode to "Use onbly as 2D/3D graphic" but it still doesnt show anything. 

@Frederic_Vbc Unfortunately the tag doesnt show either.

I dont know what you are thinking about this issue, but for us this is a fundamental tool that we would need and use everyday. We are working hard to implement VW for us as a landscaping firm, but still think the program is missing some basic tools that we would really be in need of! 

@Elin Did you put your data tag on the viewport ?
I Could not find a data tag just for elevation so I quickly made one. Have a look at the file attached. Is that what you want to achieve ?

On your design layer :

• Set your 3D stakes on the site model
  • Create a section
  • Set your section viewport on a new sheet layer

On the sheet layer :

• Enter annotation mode in your viewport
  • Use the data tag on your stakes. (As mentionned, I made a custom one. It takes 2 min and you can save it in your library. See picture below)

Custom Data tag elev.png

Data tag elev.png

Elevation data tag.vwx

• Like 2
  • 11 months later...

In Vectorworks Landmark, I expect to have the opportunity to dynamically read heights in landscape sections as a main function! These are features I take for granted. I have been working with Autodesk Revit since 2005 for Landscape Modeling and for the past year I have been using VW. Where can I find this feature in Vectorworks quick and easy? Picture below shows an example from Revit where "Spot Elevation" is easily and simply located among Annotate / Dimension. I hope I do not have to search without finding too many completely obvious functions to have in a BIM tool.

image.thumb.png.f1f3824243d917195540d114d055dc7f.png

image.thumb.png.e812d6217e7573b8114ab2f4c6a2af8f.png

https://arcg.is/1nXyXH0

• Like 2

Hello @alangedrag --

I believe that the Elevation Benchmark tool does what you need. I've used it in all my sections (made with the Create Section Elevation command) and elevations (made with the Create Viewport command) for quite some time. 

I usually place the benchmarks in the Annotations space of the viewport. NOTE: When using in a viewport, set "Elevation Display" to “Y value relative to reference elevation” to read correct Design Layer Z-heights relative to the ground plane (leaving the benchmark's Reference Elevation at 0). 

Elevation Benchmarks can also placed directly in the Design Layer model, and viewed in both sections, elevations and in perspectives, if you wish. Any point in 3D space can be snapped to, but it can be challenging to orient the benchmark on the 3D plane you want. Still, once you've got one on the plane you want (usually a verticle plane) using the Move by Points tool in a 3D view, snapping to various heights established in the model can be very effective and quick. NOTE: When using Elevation Benchmarks to dimension heights in the model, on a Design Layer, set the benchmark's "Elevation Display" to “Z value relative to ground plane” to read correct Design Layer Z-heights relative to the ground plane. Alternatively, you can use “Z value relative to reference elevation," adding a Reference Elevation value as needed (this you might want to do if the benchmark is placed on a Design Layer which does not itself have a Z value equal to that of the ground plane).

Lots of words for a tool that really is rather simple to use!

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...
On 9/26/2021 at 1:31 PM, Scott Campbell said:

NOTE: When using in a viewport, set "Elevation Display" to “Y value relative to reference elevation” to read correct Design Layer Z-heights relative to the ground plane (leaving the benchmark's Reference Elevation at 0). 

Thanks!  I was trying to figure this out, and couldn't find it in the help system.