Boot Camp

Another prediction for the demise of Apple genius ... add it to the long list.

"Bootcamp means we'll see more and more Macintoshes in the workplace and at home and more end users will come in contact with what is the only truly unique family of PCs in the industry. Apple industrial design is consistently breathtaking and makes other Intel-based PCs look dull by comparison. People who might never have experienced a Mac or come in contact with one will be turned on?Apple knows this.

Bootcamp marks the beginning of the end for Apple as the renegade for the design set and the beginning of Apple as a dominant player in the global desktop PC game. It will become absorbed."

I think your reading that wrong EJ.

It's certainly not about the demise of Apple genius, but the recognition of its industrial design prowess and the prediction that with the capability to run Windows many will now choose to buy one rather than a Dell, HP or any of the other PC makers, because they can buy a nice looking box that now runs Windows.

So if you're the Apple user that gets a kick out of being "different" to the mainstream, regard yourself as better, not like all those other PC computer users you might find you are a little less "unique" in the future.

Will they (Apple zealots) be able to handle just being part of the boring old mainstream?

Alan

[ 04-07-2006, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: alanmac ]

I've noticed, for the last several versions of VW, that the vast majority of complaints about the program crashing come from Mac users. Does anyone have a perspective on whether this new development would make VW run on a Windows Apple/Intel computer in the same way, technically, as it does on a Windows Dell? (No denials about past performance of Macs, please, unless you check back a few years on this site to quantify the number of complaints!)

The most interesting comment I have seen is that "Apple makes the fastest Windows PCs and laptops"......wouldn't it be ironic if by the time all the apps that need the power (3D modelling, video etc) become Universal Binaries (and we are talking into 2007 for many/most) that users switch to Windows versions...on a Mac....? Many/most dual platform apps offer cross platform licensing. Same codes work on both.

quote:

Originally posted by quigley:

The most interesting comment I have seen is that "Apple makes the fastest Windows PCs and laptops"......wouldn't it be ironic if by the time all the apps that need the power (3D modelling, video etc) become Universal Binaries (and we are talking into 2007 for many/most) that users switch to Windows versions...on a Mac....? Many/most dual platform apps offer cross platform licensing. Same codes work on both.

not in a million years.

Sorry WV-Vectorworker, I didn't say UB's meant Windows and Mac versions in the same box. UBs are Mac only. What I said was that some applications that are dual platform (and I primarily was refering to CAD here) offer a one license, any platform strategy. VectorWorks, Ashlar, FormZ to name a few.

With v12 you can install VW on either platform. Ashlar have done this for years, as have FormZ.

For me, the ability to run dual boot with immediately save on having to purchase extra hardware, and let me run Windows only apps on Mac, such as VX or SolidWorks. In theory.

In practise, even with dual boot, there are no drivers available for Mac hardware so things like video run slowly. For office apps its a solution. For CAD its a workaround. For the time being I'll stick to running Apple Macs and Dells....with the same license.

Since VW12 its been dual platform supplied, with the license purchaser installing it on Apple/Mac or Windows/PC, the dongle working on both, but of course, only one at a time.

They used to supply both versions on the disc years ago, the installer firing up from whatever OS you used, but then the serial number was platform specific. Now its tied to the dongle rather than the platform.

I too get the impression from seeing the problems and the signatures on posters equipment description that there seems to be a greater number of Mac problems than Windows these days.

But of course not only is VW upgrades a contributing factor, Apple is quite prolific in its upgrades to OSX, so this may also be part of the reason.

Alan

This is wonderful news. I have felt somewhat cornered as a Mac-user for some time. The major new software developments have put Mac second for years now and often bypassed the platform altogether. But then again: Mac simply feels like home to me, and its ease of use has allowed me to excel in areas, where I have no formal training - production of DVD promotions, making music in Garageband etc.

quote:

Originally posted by ccroft:

Without knowing what percentage of members use Mac or PC, it's impossible to draw any conclusions from the number of posts about problems on either platform.

What has percentage of members using either platform got to do with it when, as I said, I get the impression from the posts here that at the moment Mac users seem to be having more problems than PC users.

Most of the time there is a straight forward fix, sometimes just simply a case of running the disk utility and repairing permissions.

Alan