Issues with VW2021 Landscape Areas

mocha

Question

Hi,

I've been having issues while creating landscape areas in Vectorworks 2021. The areas created all have the same settings (species, density, unstyled Landscape Area, etc) but the plants count seems to not be working properly for all the areas (see screenshots attached as an example - logically, the bigger landscape area should have more plants but I'm getting the opposite and re-shaping is providing random results too).

I worked on this file in previous versions of Vectorworks and it was all okay so just wondering if anybody else had the same issue/ found a fix for this? 

(For info, this Plant was imported in the drawing while working with the 2021 version. I've been getting the same issue with Landscape Areas using Plant objects created a while ago but re-shaping the area a bit seems to help resolving the issue. The Landscape Areas with this Plant also run very slowly, although when I put this Plant in a Landscape Area which was created prior to VW2021 it works fine, so I'm not sure if the issue is coming from the Landscape Area or the Plant in itself?)

Screenshot 2020-10-19 at 17.56.14.png

Screenshot 2020-10-19 at 18.08.49.png

Edited by mocha

11 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I think the issue is that you have the plants set to By Instance. This means that if you update the style, this will NOT override those landscape areas that have already been drawn. 

The by instance and by style options give you control over which can be edited for each individual landscape area, and which should be controlled by the style definition.

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Take a look at this 10 minute course on Vectorworks University to learn more about Object Styles. 

https://university.vectorworks.net/mod/scorm/player.php?a=142&currentorg=articulate_rise&scoid=284

Object Styles are found in many, many Vectorworks objects, and as time goes by, more tools will adopt the style approach, so it's worth getting your head around them. 

• Like 2

This advice frankly is not helpful at all ! ..."Object Styles are found in many, many Vectorworks objects, and as time goes by, more tools will adopt the style approach, so it's worth getting your head around them. "

I have the same problem with landscape areas. Just invested in 2021 and its proving horrendous.  Why is this happening can someone not just explain ...simply ?!

I have a landscape area / shape ..replicated I need to fill with the same plant ,with same fill rate and its throwing out variable numbers ?! What did I do ?

• Like 1

Yes. I did go watch a few videos, perhaps not enough however as I still don't entirely understand what it's doing.

Notably:

• Overlapping percentages of coverage able to equal more than 100%  
  • Getting multiple planting rates to play nicely together
  • Trying to set up an object style that will stay constantly like I set it: distribution rates keep resetting themselves back to  'custom rate / fixed percentage' every time I look away / breathe.
  • Not seeing a correct graphical interpretation of filling the area when selecting 'show 2d plants' 

Perhaps the issues we are all having with landscape areas is mathematical.  The algorithm used to generate these quantities is not a true 'circle packing' process involving tricky math.  What this tool apparently does is create a grid with spacing based on the largest plant in the list - though even this is not consistent.  This means that the quantities for the smaller plants in the list will be way off if you use plants that vary widely in spread.  Take a look at the attached to see what I mean. The only way to make this tool useful therefore is to create landscape areas that include plants with very similar spreads.

Screenshot 2022-02-09 201115.jpg

Edited by lgoodkind
  • Like 3