Copy objects from point to point?

Being fairly new to VW and coming from Autocad for the last umpteen years, I am getting used to some of the "work-arounds" to do seemingly simple things, but this one has me stumped:

How to copy an object (a line, or group of lines) from a specific point (like an intersection not a part of those lines) to another specific point (such as the intersection of another group of lines) ???

I have seen from other posts there are ad-ons for this, but c'mon - seems like there has to be a way that is part of the program. [Confused]

You're right, it should be part of the program.

Until it is, this simple Plug-in at the Vector Depot, does the trick:

"Duplicate/Multiple

A very clever PIO that allows you do duplicate an object once or 1000 times by selecting a reference point then the location of the new object with point and click simplicity.

Contributor: Katerina Panagiotakis"

You can get it free at:

http://www.vectordepot.com/PlugIns1.shtml

Just scroll down the list. It works in VW 12.

It may be that there are so many of these free Plug-ins out there, NNA doesn't see adding them as a priority.

George

Jeff,

There is also a "move/multiple" PIO that you might like to download as well. It will move an object through two or more remote points.

I may have you beat as an old timer. I think I started with AutoCad version 2.1 in 1987.

I'm retired now and am using VW as a hobby, but I miss the old command line interface of AutoCad.

Dave

I'll check out the plug-ins - thanks guys!

David - I started in '87, too - maybe it was 2.1, haha!

I have changed most of the keyboard commands to what I used in ACAD, l for line, o for offset and such, but do miss the full command line.

Is there some way to create a script that changes a menu command into a tool icon? That'd help, too.

Thanks again,

I have changed most of the keyboard commands to what I used in ACAD, l for line, o for offset and such, but do miss the full command line.

I haven't tried that--sounds like a good idea. But it's limited.

Is there some way to create a script that changes a menu command into a tool icon? That'd help, too.

I don't know how to do scripting; it's a lot more involved than the one-line autolisp routines that I did.

Oh, I forgot to mention a trick that I use instead of offset.

In an orthographic situation where I want to offset vertically or horizontally, I use CMD-D CMD-M (duplicate, move). It's pretty quick, but the distance has to be entered each time when the dialogue box pops up.

"Offset Duplications" has to be turned off in Vectorworks Preferences for this to work.

If someone hasn't already told you, the best way to draw in Vectorworks, rather than using lines, is to use shapes, and then "add surfaces" or "clip surfaces" from the tools menu.

These shapes can be easily converted to 3D solids.

I agree that this capability should be part of VW - it's one of a small handful of things about AutoCAD that works better than VW. I sometimes use the following workaround, though the plug-ins sound like a better way. I place a locus at the reference point I want to use, then duplicate the locus and the object and move them both, dragging using the locus as my snap point. For those who aren't familiar with the AutoCAD capability, this is what we're talking about. Imagine being able to choose an object, click on some point offset from the object, then being able to copy it multiple times with a single click for each copy, reproducing the offset. Say if you wanted to put a circle inside a bunch of squares, duplicating the relationship to a corner of each square.

Wouldn't it be great if holding down the alt key made the Select tool temporarily lose its ability to select or de-select objects, and only retain its ability to drag-move or drag-copy? Then you could avoid accidentally selecting an overlying object when starting a move. And you could move by remote points, since it wouldn't be necessary to grab the target object to start the move.

Some of the need for moving by remote points in Autocad is handled by the Nudge feature in Vectorworks.

Another need for it in VW is caused by the fact that when trying to grab a corner to drag something by, you sometimes end up selecting another object instead (one that shares that corner and is above the intended object). And if it's already selected, you often end up drag-stretching when you meant to drag-move. So I usually move or copy the intended object out of place a little first, to where there's no other object at the target corner, then click next to it to de-select it, and then drag it by that corner. If it's multiple objects, I group it first. Then I don't even need to drag it to the side first, since the newly created group is the top object on that layer.

In general, groups take the place of a lot of things I would do in Autocad, and I much prefer using groups. I have a function key assigned to the Group command, and one to the Ungroup command, because I use them both constantly.

What's all this talk about missing the command line? You can do everything in VectorWorks on the keyboard. I never use tool palettes, and rarely use pull-down commands. The only thing missing from Autocad is that incessant punching of the space bar, which is a kind of nervous tic that you have to get rid of now that it isn't necessary. I miss it in the same way that I miss swatting at mosquitoes after summer is over.

[ 04-05-2006, 07:52 AM: Message edited by: jan15 ]

• Like 1

quote:

Originally posted by P Retondo:

Imagine being able to choose an object, click on some point offset from the object, then being able to copy it multiple times with a single click for each copy, reproducing the offset. Say if you wanted to put a circle inside a bunch of squares, duplicating the relationship to a corner of each square.

The Plug-in I mentioned (Duplicate/Multiple) does exactly what you describe. Select an object, click the Dup/Mult tool, the next click is the first reference point, subsequent clicks will create duplicates of the object based on the reference point. You can establish the reference point using the keyboard to get a precise offset. Give it a try, it's a very good plug-in.

George

Jeffe I am also fairly new to VW from AC and one of the first things I did was started changing the keyboard command assingments, ie L for line etc. The problem with that approach is that I started messing up access to other commands that I wanted to start using.

I have seen the error of my ways, I fiqure it's better to leave AC to AC and to learn VW in it's own way rather than trying to force it to behave like another software. (the round hole square peg thing).

That being said there are several commands from AC that I really miss, relative point to point copy and move being right near the top.

David - I started in '87, too - maybe it was 2.1, haha!

If I remember correctly, the version I started with (2.1?) was already outdated by 1987, so you may very well have started with 2.9. The next version we went to was release 9, around 1989-1990. Those were the bad old days, using '286 computers.

What's all this talk about missing the command line? You can do everything in VectorWorks on the keyboard.

I don't have a macro program -- I really should get one if I'm serious about using VW. So I miss the command line. I'm almost willing to bet that power-users of any software are all keyboarders, but I'm too chicken.

"2" for "line" or "4" for "rectangle" doesn't really make a lot of sense. In AutoCad, I would have used "L" and "rc."

I would like to be able to "zoom previous" ("zp" in AutoCad) on the keyboard and would like to access "add surface" or "clip surface" more easily than the pull-down menu. Are there plug-ins for these commands?

Speaking of keyboarding, I wonder if I used to drive my co-workers crazy with my incessant typing. Some of them were strictly GUI. One fellow even wanted to get a separate display just for his tool palettes. I just chuckled.

I miss it in the same way that I miss swatting at mosquitoes after summer is over.

I don't recall seeing any mosquitos in my keyboard, but I live in So-Cal.

As a user of VW & AC I've found it best to treat them as different programs - it's a waste of time to try to "convert" one to the other.

So true, I have found. They're just different. VW is more fun to use when I explore its unique abilities.

The p2p move and copy work great! Thanks to all for the heads-up on those. Vectordepot is cool, guess it could be a little more organised, but seems to have some good stuff.

Sounds like I really need to learn the scripting language (one of these days) to make this thing do what I want it to do - haha. I bet I could make a mint designing a command line interface for old ACAD users.

I still hit the spacebar out of habit - I should program that to do something useful.

David - I used to have the digitizer template ingrained into my muscle memory - it took me a long time to get used to the mouse.

So far - after only a couple of months, I really like the ease of use - especially MOST of the 3D and modeling elements, and I'm sure they will continnue to improve. It's great to show clients virtual models of their projects. When it really comes down to it, though is how fast can you draft up a set of construction documents after the model is abandoned for 2D linework (I know - if your model is perfect, you wont need to go to 2d, but this is reality - nothing is perfect).

I have not had any VW training, other than my exploring and fumbling though stuff (and asking questions here - thank you all) and trying to decypher the inadequate help system. I find "new" things every day. So I'm sure I am doing things that a VW user from way-back would think is backwards.

I have yet to explore surfaces and groups to any extent. I'll work on that after I get XP installed on this iMac to use the few things I still need. The line is starting to blur...

quote:

Originally posted by david bertrand:

I would like to .......access "add surface" or "clip surface" more easily than the pull-down menu. Are there plug-ins for these commands?

You don't need plugins david just assign them shortcuts in the workspace editor if they don't already have them.

I added them to the right-click menu.

The advice to try to forget the ACad way of doing things is wise. When I first started with modifying the workspace, I changed tools to things that made sense to me. Since I work in a number of settings with different machines with different versions of VW, having my own shortcuts was more of a pain than not.

I just ended up using the standard ones, and now "2" for a line is an automatic reaction. In fact, somewhere along the line, my left hand learnt to recognise whether I'm looking at a Windows screen or a Mac screen, and (mostly) goes to the appropriate Cmd or Ctrl key combination by itself. {:-O

It took some consistent use to get there though -old habits die hard ;-)

cheers,

N.

Go into the workspace editor. The righthand column for menus and tools represents your current workspace.

If you expand one of the menus or palettes, on the right you will see an editable list of the keyboard shortcuts (a lot easier than editing a .pgp file, no?!). If a command currently lacks a shortcut, you can add one - the program will prompt you if another command currently uses that shortcut. Note that you can click on alt / shift / cntrl keyboard combinations.

There are two sets of "context menus" that control the behavior of the mouse right-click.

[ 04-05-2006, 11:36 PM: Message edited by: P Retondo ]

Tom,

As a user of VW & AC I've found it best to treat them as different programs - it's a waste of time to try to "convert" one to the other.

As for the commands you mention, go to:

http://www.vectordepot.com/PlugIns1.shtml

There are free plug-ins that do what you describe:

-------------------------

These are Menu Commands

Pt2Pt Move

A menu command to allow moving entities by selecting a start and end point

Contributor: Peter Vandewalle

and

Pt2Pt Copy

A menu command to allow copying entities by selecting a start and end point

Contributor: Peter Vandewalle

--------------------------------

These are Tools (go in a Palette)

Duplicate/Multiple

A very clever PIO that allows you do duplicate an object once or 1000 times by selecting a reference point then the location of the new object with point and click simplicity.

Contributor: Katerina Panagiotakis

Move

Similar to the Duplicate/Multiple PIO this is a PIO that allows you to move an object by selecting a reference point then the location of the new object with point and click simplicity.

Contributor: Katerina Panagiotakis

The Vector Depot has a number of very useful, free plug-ins.

George

To add to P Retondo's comment:

If you expand one of the menus or palettes, on the right you will see an editable list of the keyboard shortcuts (a lot easier than editing a .pgp file, no?!). If a command currently lacks a shortcut, you can add one

Make sure you have selected and highlighted the command, then just type your shortcut and it will show up on the right side along with any others that might already be there. This is when the prompt will happen if some other command has those keys.