Light illumination not Rendering, but does in Open GL

jay_coke

Question

I made a space with lx fixtures in it. In open GL I can see the spotlight on the wall illuminating, but when I render in a renderworks style, custom, final quality, or otherwise, there is no illumination in the space. How can I fix this? 

Light gone cutsom renderworks.png

Light open GL.png

Edited by jay_coke

7 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Could be many things, can you post the file or a sample?
The first place I would look are your texture, all Renderworks modes use the cast & receive shadow options set by the texture.

The lighting devices supplied by Vectorworks have the Default Instrument texture applied to the geometry with the cast shadows option unchecked to allow light to come out of the fixture.

Also look for objects in the path of the light that do not have a texture applied, I've seen them act differently in OpenGL and Renderworks when casting shadows.

You can leave cast shadows/soft shadows on for the light but adjust the shadows option for the texture(s) applied to the objects.

Fair warning, soft shadows are very soft.

Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 1.26.55 PM.png

You need to use the settings on both the light and the texture to achieve the desired results.  This also means you need to apply a texture to an object, if there is no texture applied the object will be rendered with cast and receive shadows on.

@jay_coke It is what I originally suspected and probably the most common mistake people make when building symbols. The geometry in the lighting device symbol did not have a texture applied so the geometry of the lighting device was casting a complete shadow, not allowing the light to escape from the lighting device geometry. I edited the symbol and applied the default instrument texture to all the geometry in the symbol and then rendered.

Pink Clouds v2021.vwx