Data Tag Resetting

elepp

Question

Hi,

We are experiencing an issue with our data tags. Maybe @Nikolay Zhelyazkov could help us here. We have a data tags for displaying the height of objects in our plans. The tag is setup that it displays a standard value of +1.00m and upon insertion my colleagues change the value manually. Now it happnes regularly that it reverts back to +1.00m. I can not pinpoint what is causing it. But it happens very often and everyone is very frustrated with it. They started to explode them now into groups for a lack of better options. I've attached a .vwx with our tags.

Best regards!

Bildschirmfoto 2020-10-16 um 09.02.55.png

Data Tag.vwx

19 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello, @elepp,

Could you give me some more information about this, as I am not able to reproduce it.

Which version of VW are you using?

How do you enter the height, when you change it manually?

Have you noticed after what action does the height reset back to the default value?

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

36 minutes ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

Which version of VW are you using?

VW Architect 2020 SP5 (German version)

37 minutes ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

How do you enter the height, when you change it manually?

We place the data tag and type in the value. It's not a smart tag, that automatically pulls the data

38 minutes ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

Have you noticed after what action does the height reset back to the default value?

That's the point where I am also a bit at a loss. I can't reproduce it either. My colleagues are not regularly checking on the tags, but after a while they notice this behaviour. But they can't tell me all the steps they did before. It happens often enough though that at least 10 colleagues noticed it seperatly from each other.

On 10/16/2020 at 12:39 PM, elepp said:

That's the point where I am also a bit at a loss. I can't reproduce it either. My colleagues are not regularly checking on the tags, but after a while they notice this behaviour. But they can't tell me all the steps they did before. It happens often enough though that at least 10 colleagues noticed it seperatly from each other.

- I am not able to reproduce this. Are you using project sharing?

If you have any additional information or if you succeed in finding the steps to reproduce this, let me know.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• Like 1

I have been experiencing similar results when publishing a drawing that has referenced drawing with data tags. If i select update out of date view ports when publishing PDFs of the drawings, the data within the data tags is lost, also the data tags in the original drawing are wiped out and display as blank and then have to manually be re associated with the objects they were attached to. It has wasted any time saved in automatically updating the data tags. Would love to know if you find a solution.

6 minutes ago, Redmodro said:

I have been experiencing similar results when publishing a drawing that has referenced drawing with data tags. If i select update out of date view ports when publishing PDFs of the drawings, the data within the data tags is lost, also the data tags in the original drawing are wiped out and display as blank and then have to manually be re associated with the objects they were attached to. It has wasted any time saved in automatically updating the data tags. Would love to know if you find a solution.

- Hello @Redmodro,

Could you send me a sample test file, with which I can reproduce this issue and analyze it?

Thanks,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

@Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Been having an issue with data tags shrinking super small when printed unless the "reset all plug-in objects" on the print screen is unchecked.  Do you know what would trigger that?  Is there a way to stop them from shrinking?  

Info the tags are incorporated into a symbol.  That was the only element that I thought could be triggering them but otherwise no idea.

2 minutes ago, Dendecko said:

@Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Been having an issue with data tags shrinking super small when printed unless the "reset all plug-in objects" on the print screen is unchecked.  Do you know what would trigger that?  Is there a way to stop them from shrinking?  

Info the tags are incorporated into a symbol.  That was the only element that I thought could be triggering them but otherwise no idea.

Hello @Dendecko,

Yes, you are right. Data Tags placed in symbols misbehave when reset. This is because on reset data tags gets scaled according to their parent layer. Since they are in symbols, you actually have 1 real data tag in that symbol, which has no parent layer, so it takes the scale of the active layer. That is why when you reset the data tag from one layer on the other it is incorrectly scaled.

Currently I can only advice you to either use data tags outside of symbols or continue unchecking the Reset All plugin objects option when printing.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Hello @elepp,

I had some progress on this topic. I think that the problem that you were seeing is only reproducible when you import one data tag style from one file to another and then the first inserted data tag gets this reset to defaults behavior. The same might occur in project sharing too. The workaround for now is to edit the style's layout once you import it and then reset the values of your existing Data Tags. After that, the values should no longer reset to default for this Data Tag style in this file. I will keep you informed here when there is more progress on the issue.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• Like 1