Topography

Victor S

Thanks @jeff prince I did look into that before but didn't get anywhere with it but you've prompted me to revisit it + I can see what was confusing me: it was only the first VP that was showing a section line present but what I needed to do was add section lines for the other VPs in their respective 'section line instances' dialog boxes to make them show up on the design layer as well, then like you say I could if needed draw a guide + move each of them individually into their new positions.

Thanks for the nudge in the right direction 👍

• Like 1

@Tom W. I've been playing around with this a bit and just found out something that is probably basic and everyone knows....

You can mirror section viewports to generate new sections!  Wish I would have known that earlier.

Anyhow, check out the attached file.  It started with 3 stacked viewports to describe the original section we were discussing.  I did a lot of manipulation of those viewports to get the graphics to behave in a particular way and did not want to replicate that effort, so...

By simply mirroring or copying the original 3 viewports, I made the other two section views.

I used 'section line instances' on the cross section to get the new view I wanted.

The only downside... the customized viewport cropping I did for the viewport depicting the GradingFill had to be redone.

This is one of the reasons I like these discussions on the forum, accidental discoveries 🙂

Site-section-GRADING3.vwx

• Like 1

I usually set up a sheet layer that is purely for the control of section lines - on there I have a plan (for vertical sections) and an elevation (for horizontal sections), and those two viewports I give easily recognisable names, then I use the "section line instances" control to make all section lines show on these viewports. Then I can move them around as I will, line them up with each other and so on.

• Like 2

Hi @jeff prince maybe i did it wrong but when I mirrored my stack of viewports i got this (on the right):

1774319333_Screenshot2020-10-28at21_53_05.thumb.png.7fc3ac47c8a8911da72c871942a6adce.png

Graphics all wrong and just a mirror image of the same view

But when I just duplicated the stack then turned on the section lines for all three VPs in the stack then rotated those three section lines through 90 on the design layer I got this:

1851660535_Screenshot2020-10-28at22_05_53.thumb.png.d095e2556296ee9d28b83d7a3516b164.png

Which is correct - view-wise + graphically. And the same as you say: an easy way once you've set up the first stack of VPs to create new views with the same visuals v quickly

@Tom W. Yes, I mentioned that I used Section Line Instances to create the new views that I wanted.  This involves repositioning, rotating, or 'reversing the direction' of the new section line markers the viewport generated.  To me, that is a nice time saver simply using the 'reverse direction' of the duplicated marker.  I can't believe I just learned this today 🙂

• Like 1

Thanks @jeff prince + @line-weight for the info on how section lines work this has been a great lesson.

On this issue:

13 hours ago, line-weight said:

There will be a few things that it will make a bit tedious (for example if you want to change the location of your section cut, you'll need to move the section line 3 times over, to the exact same new location)

If you select all three SLs at once the 'reverse direction' command only works on the top one so you have to do them one at a time.

But if you make the section lines into a group they can be moved/flipped/rotated as one.

The tedious bit is turning the section lines on one at a time beforehand (after you duplicate a stack of VPs) then adjusting the crops one at a time afterwards