Sheet Views and Class Visibity

So in a saved view, I can define class visibilities. Same for a viewport. I don't see any way to do this for a sheet view. If I have been working in a view and adjust the class visbilities to suit what I am doing, when I switch to a sheet view, the class visibilities  stay the same. Sometimes this is okay and sometimes I have to turn some class back on to see all of the sheet view. Am I missing something or is this a case of bad work habits?

So this is working as designed as I understand it. For viewports, in the edit viewport dialogue there is a "Display using viewport attributes" option which, when you enter a design layer from a VP it will change the class settings to whatever the viewport visibilities are. 

image.thumb.png.1c715e51ae8ff7bcb526111eed726c18.png

If you return to the sheet using the "Return to Viewport" button on the top right of the screen it will restore your visibilities back to what you had before you entered the viewport.

image.thumb.png.c92299547c565b9518580e38df1e2c76.png

I don't think there is a similar functionality for saved views so you have to adjust them manually. When working on sheet layers I usually want all classes on which is easy to do by just holding the alt key when turning one on they will all turn on.

I understand what you are saying and that is the behaviour I see. The case I am talking about is as follows - 1) Open a sheet view, turn all classes on. 2) Open a saved view - the classes will be changed according to the view. 3) Open the sheet view again - the classes will be turned on as per the saved view. You need to turn on the classes again. Seems to me that the sheet view should have the option to save the class and layer visibilities.

I think best practice is to keep pretty much everything on sheet layers in the none class so that it is always visible. Sheet layers should only have Viewports, title blocks, scale bars, northpoints, maybe some notes and all of that should be classed to none.

Revision bubbles and tags I put in a revision class and put them in vp annotations.

Legends too shld be in vp annotations.

Everything in Titlblocks symbols should be on none.

vp annotations can be in any class as their visibilities are controlled by the VP.

So if you do this then sheet views only need the none class on.

• Like 3
23 hours ago, Boh said:

vp annotations can be in any class as their visibilities are controlled by the VP.

Be aware tho that if a class is set to invisible in the workspace it may be visible in vp annotations but you can’t edit annotation objects in that class until they are set to visible in the workspace also.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Mitchell (the other one) said:
On 10/18/2020 at 6:27 AM, Boh said:

Be aware tho that if a class is set to invisible in the workspace it may be visible in vp annotations but you can’t edit annotation objects in that class until they are set to visible in the workspace also.

Now there is a semi amusing feature that would have had me guessing for a while - thank you for the tip.

Actually I just checked and it seems that it not the case anymore. Maybe it was a bug in previous versions but I'm on vw2019 now and it seems to not be an issue.