Server based project file

My understanding is the iCloud already has a local copy and that then syncs to the cloud (and then to other machines). If you are using iCloud that way, then having a local copy will not offer any speed increase as you already are using a local copy.

If you are somehow actually opening the copy from the cloud and not copying it to your local machine, then yes you will get a significant speed increase, at least in opening and saving the file by using a local copy.

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/15/2020 at 5:16 PM, Pat Stanford said:

My understanding is the iCloud already has a local copy and that then syncs to the cloud (and then to other machines). If you are using iCloud that way, then having a local copy will not offer any speed increase as you already are using a local copy.

If you are somehow actually opening the copy from the cloud and not copying it to your local machine, then yes you will get a significant speed increase, at least in opening and saving the file by using a local copy.

Interesting. When opening the file from iCloud it cannot always find the referenced files so I have to complete the file opening without them and then open each and everyone of them from iCloud before the file I want to work on recognises them. So if I read your answer correctly working on the file directly on iCloud is slower than converting it to a project file which can update itself at a more leisurely pace and working on the project file as a 'local' VWX ought to be quicker.