Resource Manager

mac@stairworks

Question

Two things I would like to see improved with the resource manager.

If there is a way to do these things, could someone please let me know?

1) It would be better to be able to check off (add check boxes to the left of each resource)which resources you want to view instead of one resource or all of them.

symbols/plug-ins, and textures are what I use most but from what I understand you can only view one at a time or you have to view all resources.

2) Is there a way to sort the resource manager list by type instead of alphabetical?

Having all of the resources showing at once, they are all over the place because of the naming. Visually, it's very difficult     to find what I'm looking for.

Screenshot shows "all resources". There is no sense of order.

Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 5.03.03 PM.png

• Like 2

6 answers to this question

Ha ha!

Practically, what you are asking is the way the Resource Manager worked before the reworking it got some years ago.

We all preferred it that way, but don't count on this changing any time soon.

They change things every ten years or so. I think we might have still 5-6 to go...

Edit: @Stephan Moenninghoff once had a very good set of improvements' proposals. I wish we could see some of it come true.

Edited by _c_
On 10/15/2020 at 12:09 AM, Andy Broomell said:

For the second point, you can organize by resource type only if you switch from Thumbnail View to List View (controller to the left of the filter dropdown). Then you'll get a column header you can click to organize by type.

And of course you can organise resources into Resource folders. Makes navigating through millions of resources much less painful.

Thanks Tom, I do create folders. The problem is, some miscellaneous items don't make it into a folder, and the ones that don't might be a different resources like text styles, textures and line types. If they were listed by type you could scroll though them in some type of order. 

Andy, thank you. Yes, you can sort by type in list view. So how is that not possible in thumbnail/list view? 

It just seems like another "improvement" with baggage that will linger.

_C_, yeah, I'm looking for the old way it worked, but it worked. I like the new layout, I think there's a lot more room to work, but just fix the little things, 

If I have more than one of any type of resource I create a resource folder for it so I have separate folders for wall styles, slab styles, roof styles, symbols, worksheets, etc + this makes it a lot easier to find stuff as like you say, having a whole of resources of different types lumped together it can be hard to distinguish between them. But sounds like you want to see all of them at once but have them separated into types, rather than only look at one type at a time

Yeah, that's pretty much it. That's why I'd like to see the thumbnail/list view to have the option to view the resources you work with most. If I select "all resources" I have to scroll through tons of line types and text styles. At least with the old browser you could minimize those resources and sort of hide them from view.

Anyway, thanks everybody.