Vectorworks 2020 | Data Visualization | Image Fill showing uncorrectly

Tbai

Question

Hiya,

I was looking for an alternative solution for viewport class override to quickly turn black/white plans to coloured on sheet layers across different files following a 'preset' palatte. I'm aware of you can group and copy the viewports through, but if classes, fill colours or line types named differently, you won't get the same result by eyedropping the viewports.

I just switched to 2020 and gave Data Visualization a try since Vectorworks 2020 got quite some update on it. If I just set my data visualization preset to replace classes's Fill to Solid colours, it works great (except for you can't change opacity and shade setting, and anything set to none in classes won't get replaced/ applied), but it seems struggling get the image fills right using data visualization preset (on both design layers and sheet layers).

If any of the above doesn't make sense, please see my testing file attached.

Thanks for helping

14102020 -Data Visualization Example.vwx

Edited by Tbai

5 answers to this question

Sorry to bump this, the demonstration at the very end of the webniar by @Tamsin Slatter below was just quite impressive. Would be good to know If data visualization only works with solid colours, or it might get fixed in 2021? Anyone else tried it out or mmay have similar issue?

Also, I just realized the way how data visualization extracts Fill might be the same as how viewport class overide does...? So techinically, even Image Fill works well with scales, it still won't work across files unless have all colours/images named the same in both files

https://university.vectorworks.net/mod/page/view.php?id=617

Thanks

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi @Tbai

Thanks for posting this and for attending this morning's LI session.

Data Visualization in 2021 DOES include the ability to override the opacity on fills. It also offers the chance to create a blend of colours between two selected colours, and to export these as a named colour palette.

image.png

image.png

If the fill is something that requires a named resource (such as a hatch or image), then the resource would need to be the same across a file set. Another option would be to have a resource file, that is used to reference resources into a number of files across the project. But this comes with a health warning. Referencing resources in this way can be disastrous unless everyone is well aware that editing a resource will cause it to update across the entire project!

Hi @Tamsin Slatter

Thanks for getting back to me!

28 minutes ago, Tamsin Slatter said:

Data Visualization in 2021 DOES include the ability to override the opacity on fills. It also offers the chance to create a blend of colours between two selected colours, and to export these as a named colour palette.

That's brilliant! Good to know. Will try it out in the new version. What about Image Fill? Don't know if you had a chance to look at the file I attached. I set my fill overrides to 'Image' and the result doesn't look quite right. Seems they show in a wrong scale somehow. Do correct me it's already fixed in 2021 though.

image.thumb.png.20ac6876ee7af9ea20cea052e3e572a6.png

image.thumb.png.ee3b052916aade38df816b217a399bd8.png

30 minutes ago, Tamsin Slatter said:

If the fill is something that requires a named resource (such as a hatch or image), then the resource would need to be the same across a file set. Another option would be to have a resource file, that is used to reference resources into a number of files across the project. But this comes with a health warning. Referencing resources in this way can be disastrous unless everyone is well aware that editing a resource will cause it to update across the entire project!

Thanks for the suggestion. When you say to have a resource file, do you mean literally reference another Vectorwork file with the Fill palattes saved in? yes, I can see it will cause a mess...I thought you can't edit a referenced resource unless you break the reference?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Thanks for sharing your file. I hadn't spotted that. I am sorry to say that the Image scaling issue is still there in 2021, but I will file a bug for this straight away, using your excellent example file. Also, the issue with the None class is the same. I will file that in a separate bug report.

Regarding referencing resources, here is the article you need from Vectorworks Help >>

• Like 1