Tree Survey Import

Laura Stone

I'm trying to import a tree survey (VW 2020 Mac) but can't seem to find anywhere where the RPA (critical zone in VW-speak) can be mapped to.  Can anyone help?  Suppose can be done manually but a bit tedious.

Also for existing trees it would be good to have a style that can be changed.  At the moment if I decide I want to change the appearance, for instance by making the critical zone in red, I seem only to be able to do this one tree at a time.  Even if I select all of the tree and make changes, they only seem to be applied to one.  

Thanks

Laura

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The trick with imports is to first click the Existing Tree tool Preferences dialogue and then make active all the fields that you are going to need. For example, if you want to import radius values from tree centre to N, E, S and W, click Irregular Canopy Size and then click OK. Then place one tree on the drawing area. This creates the necessary fields to receive the data. You can delete the tree after this, and go ahead with this import. 

To make changes to the appearance, select an Existing Tree and click the 2D Properties. Choose the new display properties, and then on the left of the dialogue, choose Apply Properties to All objects on all layers. Check Also apply as the document defaults, so that any new trees will also adopt the properties.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
On 10/14/2020 at 3:14 PM, Laura Stone said:

Also for existing trees it would be good to have a style that can be changed.  At the moment if I decide I want to change the appearance, for instance by making the critical zone in red, I seem only to be able to do this one tree at a time.  Even if I select all of the tree and make changes, they only seem to be applied to one.

@Laura Stone, fortunately, you can modify all trees at once. When you decide you want to make a change, head to OIP and scroll down to 2D (or 3D) Properties. There, you can choose from the Apply Properties drop-down menu to e.g. All Objects on All Layers.

I personally put my trees in classes named after their custom significance (Quality Category according to BS5837) as this is different than the Vectorworks categories. I then apply colour to reflect the scheme in the BS and set all trees to use attributes by Class.

I hope this helps.

Ok no probs I think you need to use 2D Component Symbols to have the trunk + canopy appear differently. You can create your own 2D symbols + place them in the 'Existing Tree' user folder to access them from the '2D Properties' dialog. You could class the trunk + canopy geometry in the symbol separately to then be able to control their appearance by class.

@Tom W., it sounds exactly as I imagined it should be done, but I am not sure how to execute it. When I go to edit the 2D component of the symbols (canopy and trunk), they seem to be in the None class. And yet, they acquire properties from the class to which the entire tree symbol has been assigned.

Shall I reassign the trunk geometry to my new Trunk class and follow suit with the canopy geometry?