Visibility of refenced classes in different viewports

I've got a project in which I've drawn the plan and the elevations in AutoCAD and am doing the planting plan and sheet sets in VW.

I've set up VW 'shuttle files' for both the CAD plan and for the CAD elevations.

In my main design file I have 'reference viewports' for each of the shuttle files on separate design layers (ExRwef, and ExRef-ELEV) and also on separate classes (V-XR ELEV, and V-XR PLAN).

In viewports on my Elevation Sheet I want certain 'refence viewport' classes to be visible (for example I want to see the classes containing 'trees', 'buildings' and 'trellis' which are all on separate CAD layers).

On my Details Sheet viewports I want to show different 'ref viewport' classes for the same file (for example I want to see the classes containing  'trellis' and 'footings', but not the 'trees' or 'buildings').

I understand the workflow for turning on and off classes in viewports, and I understand how I can select a 'ref viewport' and in the OIP turn on and off classes...

...but I can't seem to figure out how to adjust visibility for 'Ref Viewport' Classes in individual viewports like my elevation viewports and my detail viewports.

In the future I will be mostly drawing projects in 3D with VW.

But I can see many instances where I will be sharing files, most likely CAD files, with others and will want to detail them in VW.

Thanks for any settings clarification and/or workflow recommendations!

You can't change the visibility of classes in a referenced viewport from the overrides of another viewport.

The best work around is to import multiple copied of the Referenced viewport each with difference class visibilities and then use the correct one (probably by setting the Referenced Viewport to a specific Class) in each of the Sheet Layer viewports.

16 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

You can't change the visibility of classes in a referenced viewport from the overrides of another viewport.

The best work around is to import multiple copied of the Referenced viewport each with difference class visibilities and then use the correct one (probably by setting the Referenced Viewport to a specific Class) in each of the Sheet Layer viewports.

I was afraid of that..

Thanks for the workaround Pat.

@Pat Stanford  I'm currently implementing this in a project file.

Can I make multiple reference viewports of the same VW 'shuttle file' in different Design layers (ie "details -water feature", "details- trellis, "details- deck" ) and set different class visibilities in each of the Design Layers?

Or would each reference viewport need it's own VW 'shuttle file' in addition to it's own Design Layer (ie "shuttle-details -water feature.vwx", "shuttle-details- trellis.vwx, "shuttle details- deck.vwx" )?

Are there any negative performance issues will multiple Reference Viewports?

In CAD referencing seems to help keep files small and nimble...

Really seems like I just need to learn to draw in VW!

You can do multiple viewports from a single Shuttle File. You can put them on different layers or just set the Class of the viewport to separate them. You can (I think) just make the first Referenced Viewport then duplicate it and edit the Viewport visibilities to get the other ones you need.

Ask again if you need more clarity.

• Like 1

If the shuttle files aren’t too big then I would suggest just importing them into your main file. Creating multiple referenced dlvps might be over complicating things.

A tip for this is before importing them add a “zDWG-“ prefix to all the classes so they collapse down and drop to the Bottom of the Class hierarchy list.

• Like 2
On 10/16/2020 at 2:41 PM, Pat Stanford said:

You can (I think) just make the first Referenced Viewport then duplicate it and edit the Viewport visibilities to get the other ones you need.

Will try this.

I've also just redrawn some of the elevations in VW

-- it was just getting overly complicated to have to adjust layer visibility for each detail in the OIP sub menus.