Summarizing items in a worksheet

There's gotta be a more sensible way of doing this, but the way I did it was:...

In the record format I made 2 fields, one for unit price and one for total. Make the Unit price a Text field so it wont add up, and the Total price a number field so it will add up. Then put the same price in both.

N,

Fred,

hopefully some one who actually knows this stuff can help. I'm finding it all a bit opaque myself. However:

quote:

Originally posted by ClickityClk:

Is there a way to hide that field?

Which field?

I don't want it to be visible when creating symbols and entering the information in the specific fields.

Don't whant what to be visible? If you are attaching objects to a symbol with a record, it will only be visible in a worksheet if you make it so.

I would hope that there is a way to accomplish this task in the database worksheet.

I was refering to using the columns in a worksheet.

N.

quote:

Originally posted by FredM:

I've created a new record format with ...Item Name...Item Description...Price...Weight.

I then create report, choose my record format,

Fred,

If you have made a "price" field that exists in the record format, and you choose to make a Report with your record format: as long as the particular field you want appears (solid- not greyed) in the right hand column when you set up the Report, then it should automaticaly appear as a column in the worksheet.

Does it not?

N.

Thank You Nicholas for trying to help me! Sorry for the confusion. I'm going to try to upload a picture of what I am having an issue with. I've created a new record format with ...Item Name...Item Description...Price...Weight. I then create report, choose my record format, the worksheet opens up with all the criteria in the record format. I then add a column, name it ...Cost Each... I then type in the foumula =('Format-1'.???????)

Not sure I understand the desired final layout of the sheet, but having more than one column summarized may get you there. I'd try a sum button in 'item name','description' and 'total price', or some other combination. I just experiment with those buttons til I get what I want...not entirely sure I understand how they work.

If all the light fiixtures in a row have the same price, and if you have a count column, you could also try a formula something like '=price/count' in the header for individual price.

Not sure what you're trying to hide, but columns can be hidden by setting their width to 3 or less. Setting at zero works, but it's hard to unhide it

Failing all the above, in some complicated situations I use one database sheet to collect info, and use another spreadsheet to reference the info from the database. This allows more flexibility in the way the 'display' sheet presents the info, and more opportunity to perform math on the values. The database sheet does it's work in the background and does not need to be open.

You definitely can get what you want.

Charles

I tried '=price/count' it gave me a lower amount but still wrong. About 1/3 the price amount. Is that a bug? I did an experiment, and believe it or not it worked. I will try to explain..

Step 1. Create New Resource. Record Format

Step 2. New Field. Price (number decimal use comma)

Step 3. Attach 4 identical objects on the build layer to the record format through the object info palette.

Step 4. Organize Create Report Summarize

Step 5. Create column and name it Total

Step 6. Copy and paste the formula for the price column into the newly created Total column and PRESTO it works. I've tried a couple of other tests, and now I really feel stupid. It appears that all I needed to do was highlight the database header row and drag the sum icon over the individual column. I was dragging it over the database column tab ie. 2

I Really appreciate everyone's help Nicholas and Charles javascript:void(0)