salukitd

Side Light Schematic View

So I'm in 2021 and come to realize that Plot and Model view has been replaced with schematic view.  Is there a good tutorial that shows using schematic view to layout side lighting booms?!  Thanks!!

Try this. Its a webinar I did for Vectorworks last month.

• Like 3

So far so good.  Could you tell me about the Rotate tool - Lighting device mode.  Is this new in 2021?

Thanks Mark!

The rotate tool automatically reverts to this when a lighting device is selected in a 3D view. (Also, screen plane must not be the active plane). It's been around since 2019 (I think) 

The tool will rotate the 3D portion of the lighting device about the X,Y,Z axes in a 3D view. It's fantastically useful for orientating lighting devices on non-horizontal lighting positions.

• Like 1

Hi Mark - thanks for this tremendously helpful video!

Could you explain how you offset the overhung par can?  I can't seem to do that in my own drawings.  I'm trying to draw a light ladder with lights overhung and underhung on the same rung.  I want to preserve the 3D geometry but can't figure out how to do that without the overhung lights completely covering the underhung lights in the schematic view.

Thanks!

Scott

6 hours ago, MWursthorn said:

Hey MarK,

a great Video! We think it's really great. Can we put it on our German Spotlight E-Learning Platform?
Our users will surely like it very much!

https://web.computerworks.de/e-learning-plattform-eventbranche

Thank you for your feedback !

Martin

Thanks

I think you will find that it is already on the Vectorworks University site though so probably no need to ask.

Mark

Hi Mark,

I'm returning to my question in a more specific way.  I was trying to offset within a position, which doesn't seem to work.  When I tried to offset outside a position, then the function worked.  I'm trying to draw both over and underhung units on the middle of a ladder.  I'm guessing the only way to do this is to make each rung of the ladder it's own separate hanging object so that I can use offset. Do you know of an easier solution or do I need to re-draft all of these ladders?

I'm attaching an image of what I am talking about.  Ladder 1R is what shows up in the default schematic.  Ladder 2R is what I want it to look like.  Ladder 3R was just me discovering that offset works only if used externally to the position.

Thanks!

Scott

Ladder Issues.jpg

You are right. I wouldn't redraft the position if I were you. What I have done in the past is duplicate the lighting Instrument Symbol and offset the 2D component. It takes just a few seconds and works well.

831885918_Screenshot2020-11-05at17_21_16.thumb.png.180f2f89ea176bd0cb31aac381fb9ff7.png1009307653_Screenshot2020-11-05at17_21_50.thumb.png.470c22e7cc7d5bf6451bd449ba0d4c39.png

Edited by markdd
  • Like 1

HI Mark Thank you for this great video!

I have struggled with the offset function the whole day. In my schematic view some lamps will move and take the footprint mark, some of them not.  I can't understand what's the reason for that. In the example below you can see that 2 lamps have the footprint mark but the third lamp won't get it. he lamps behave different each time .51177903_Skarmavbild2020-11-18kl_00_40_20.thumb.png.a3729afe46c103a82ac291c0b7c6c0d2.png

I have an other question!

In the tutorial you're using the accessory removing tool, removing the clamp of a lamp symbol. I tried to make the same but doesn't work for me, regardless of whether I edit the 2d symbol with the accessory information you describe. My question is have do you attach before the clamps and then removing them with the tool? This is the only way tha works for me. I'm using the Niethammer profiles and the symbol have a clamp attach. I have to edit and delete the clamp in the 3d symbol menu in order to hang the lamp properly.

/Bernat

If you drag a lighting device out of the bounds of the rigging/hanging position, then you will see a Footprint. If you drag within the bounds of a rigging/hanging position then you will move the Lighting device.

For the accessory to be removable it needs to have the

• Light Info Record attached and the Device type needs to be either Accessory or Static Accessory.
  • It also needs the Parts record attached with the Base field checked.

Clamps that are attached to most of the Vectorworks Library symbols don't yet have this set up yet. You will need to edit the symbol. Steps as follows:

• Edit the Lighting Instrument Symbol 3D component
  • Select the exiting Clamp geometry and convert it to a symbol
  • Specify the insertion point as where the clamp would wrap the barrel or hanging point.
  • The Clamp will now be a symbol inside the Lighting Device Symbol
  • In the Lighting Device Symbol make sure that the Yoke and Body are adjusted so that when no clamp is present they will hang at the origin of the symbol
  • Adjust the Clamp so it is on top (The Insertion point of the clamp will be above the origin of the symbol. This is different to the way all the pre-2021 symbols have been created)

Make sure that the Parts record and the Light Info record are attached to the Clamp with the correct info filled in.

• Exit the Lighting Instrument Symbol

You should be able to use the Lighting Accessory tool to attach and detach the clamp.

Here is the file.Accessory.vwx

Edited by markdd

Hi Mark,

That was perfect!

Many thanks for the video and the file, that was self-explanatory.

Now I realise that when I offset the lamps from the hanging position, I have to update the geometry, otherwise the boundaries of the hanging position geometry follows the first offseted lamp and blocks other lamps to offset beside. Maybe is this a bug or is just like it is as it is. 

I wish I could add an offseted lamp inside the hanging position it makes the plot interpretation easier to understand :).

Bernat

I think that Vectorworks have done a good job with this. I don't think this functionality is a bug and makes sense to me. I think that what the tool's designer was hoping to do was to stop the unintentional movement of objects within a rigging position whilst offering the ability to offset the 2D geometry outside to help with clarity.

The workflow that I described above is the best way that I know of showing offset 2D geometry within a Rigging Position.

I'm glad the Accessory workflow worked well for you.

• Like 1

I wonder if the fixture libraries will be updated to accommodate this workflow? Or is there a good reason to leave things as they are? Something in me dislikes the idea of each and everyone of us having to update the fixtures on an as needed basis. Is there an easy way to share the fixture libraries that we've updated?