3D Modelling improvement, finally :-)

Just stumbled across this on the VW website when looking at something else:

3D Modelling Enhancements

Finally we got direct modelling and the push-pull recognizing that a push-pull into an object should create a hole/opening, though happened to find out about this by accident yesterday. This is going to save quite a few clicks/extra operations etc. in the long run.

Now I can do more of my modelling in VW again instead of having to use BricsCAD (which had this for quite a while) for this kind of stuff.

Well done Vectorworks 🙂

(Now if we could have 3D constraints and parameters as well then VW may become quite useful for mechanical stuff I'm doing as well)

36 minutes ago, line-weight said:

The push-pull tool has been able to create a hole or opening for some time hasn't it? Don't think this is a new thing.

Yes, but you always had to hold the alt/option-key down while doing it. Now it works automatically if the command is enabled.

33 minutes ago, line-weight said:

The push-pull tool has been able to create a hole or opening for some time hasn't it? Don't think this is a new thing.

No, it wasn't possible in VW2020 to have an extruded circle, draw a circle on the top surface and pull it down to create a hole. It creates two extrudes that need to subtracted.

In VW 2021 pulling down the circle drawn on the top face of the extruded circle will now automatically create a hole.

6 minutes ago, elepp said:

Yes, but you always had to hold the alt/option-key down while doing it. Now it works automatically if the command is enabled.

With the caveat that you had to start push-pulling first before using the alt/option key. It's just one of those convoluted workflow things that other programs simply automated a while ago. I have gotten so used to it being automatic in other programs that I tended to forget about the alt/option key after having spent a while in the other software.

So that is why I think this is an overdue improvement as it saves another step that you would have to use quite a lot sometimes.

Edited by Art V
  • Like 1

Yes, but that is draw circle, extruding the circle, draw another circle, switch to the push-pull tool, select sub-face mode, select 2nd circle, select extrusion, push-pull circle inward. This is four additional steps compared to draw circle, extrude, draw another circle and push-pull inward.

For a once in a while operation this may be fine, but if you have to do this often then it really adds up, even if you have to select the sub-face mode once for the push-pull tool because you are not using it for other things it still means substantial additional time when you have to do quite a few of these push-pulls because of it still being three additional steps.

So the new behaviour is way more efficient timewise.

Edited by Art V

Upon reading back I can see where that impression came from, because just push-pulling (without modifier key alt/option) does only create another solid which has to be subtracted (or one has to start over again using the alt/option key or your shown method). 

What I meant to say was what became a bit more clear during the discussion, that just push-pulling (the circle) into an extrusion without having to do anything else now automatically creates a hole (or cut-out if you don't go through the whole object) and that is the improvement I've been waiting for as my other CAD software has this for quite a while.