2D COMPONENT - User-provided component

Hi guys,

I am digging more into 2D components side of symbols/plug-in and wonder about couple of things:

- is there a simple way to assign custom(user-provided) 2D component to already laid out framing/structural members structure (they share same 2D component) or do I have to do it one by one...any eye dropper shortcut/copy paste. I know I can make first member to my liking and then duplicate it and built up my members layout from scratch but what if there is already structure placed...any quick solution?

- i have found out that I can place as a custom 2D component any symbol (that makes life much easier when situation arise that I have to alter 2D component custom graphic of objects with same 2D component). However is there some limitation to using symbols within 2D component? Something to be aware of? I see that LOD (low, medium, high) viewport settings doesn't pass on the custom 2D component - symbol itself...

Also I have noticed that for example when I change pitch/roll angle of structural member with already assigned custom 2D component (Left and Right Cut), custom 2D component will not rotate accordingly and stay untouched with same rotation...is is WAD or a bug

Any answer would be much appreciated.

The best way I have found to achieve your first question is to put the whole construction inside an Auto hybrid wrapper. This will generate 2d Top/Plan geometry as you create and edit the structure. However, because the Structural member object already creates 2D geometry, you will need to ungroup the structural members so that just the 3D geometry is left behind. The only problem with doing this is that all the parametric functionality of the Structural member object will be lost. (come back if you need any help with this...)

The one limitation to adding 2d components to any 3D plugin or 3D only symbol is that you are not able to rotate the object around the X or Y axes. (3D rotate).

12 hours ago, drelARCH said:

Also I have noticed that for example when I change pitch/roll angle of structural member with already assigned custom 2D component (Left and Right Cut), custom 2D component will not rotate accordingly and stay untouched with same rotation...is is WAD or a bug

The Structural member tool, like a lot of other plug-in tools creates the 2D geometry on-the-fly as the underlying 3D geometry is manipulated - rather like the Auto Hybrid object. When you add your own 2D component, this functionality is lost and the Structural Member object becomes like any standard 2D/3D hybrid symbol in that It will not rotate around the X and Y axes. This is a quirk, limitation, call it what you will of Vectorworks. It actually makes complete sense to me and I have learned to work with it and it doesn't bother me now. 

Hope that helps.

@markddthanks a lot.

I need to have correct 2d plan (horizonatal section) and maybe more importantly correct 2D graphic in sections viewports - not only some square (beam type member)with white fill in it (2D default graphic) but preferably some hatching and diagonals going through square.

And reason for using structural member is to get at the end correct report for materials quantity and member length.. I am thinking now if this is possible with extrudes too...(to get overall lenght and dimensions for individual extrudes...? maybe yes...Well I would prefer styles for structural member as this is at present state overcomplicated task.

Thanks for pointing me to auto hybrid I think this has really strong place to cover some objects and I am now getting back to this tool/option. Year ago or maybe more I had difficulty to make it play nicely with horizontal section. If I recall correctly there was some clash between cut plane level for auto hybrid and cut plane for horizontal section viewport...but might be my mistake of overlooking some settings...