Please help me; Skylight object

Yohei

Dear team of vectorworks forum

I recently started use vectorworks 

I have two question for resource manager.

I want to put "skylight" but I couldn't find it on resource manager. I already downloaded all downloaded contents from "Help" and downloaded this plugin.

https://www.veluxusa.com/professional/products/modular-skylights/cad-bim/vectorworks

I follow the way to download and could see "velux modular skylight" on my tool set but doesn't work.

second question is I cannot put material to wall.

When I open resource manager and choose material to put wall but doesn't change anything.

I hope some of you know the solution.

Cheers

Yohei

This plug-in looks pretty old, and uses a resource format that Vectorworks no longer supports, so you may not see all of the object's user interface correctly.

There are a number of skylight symbols available vis the Resource Manger that may be more straightforwards to use.

Are you drawing a set or a building. The answer will affect the best way to insert the skylight in the drawing. If a building, you can look at creating a roof and then inserting the skylight: https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2021/eng/index.htm#t=VW2021_Guide%2FRoofs%2FAdding_roof_elements_to_roof_objects_and_roof_faces.htm You can probably find more users with experience for this in the Architect forum.

If you're making a set, you probably want a different approach, and the solution will depend on your design.

Guest Wes Gardner

@Yohei, in this video I start with a ROOF object (it only works on ROOFS and ROOF FACES). Go to the Resource Manger and search for SKYLIGHT. Choose a skylight object (symbol) from the library. Place it on the Roof.  It initially makes a dormer. Enter the Dormer editor and choose EDIT SKYLIGHT.

Wes

• 4 months later...

You can just model it in 3D then create a 3D-only symbol. That's all the roof lights in the libraries are. You need 'insert in walls' enabled. And bear in mind that the roof will be clipped to the size of the symbol geometry, so don't include flanges or any elements of the roof light that would normally be built-into the roof in the symbol otherwise you'll end up with a larger hole than desired.

@C.T A few thoughts.

Tom W is correct regarding the need to 3d model a round skylight...or any custom skylight of your choosing, but.....

There is a little issue with placing a round 3d object into a roof. Meaning, the 3d symbol will not work,  in that it will go into a roof or roof face,

But ......... the hole in the roof will be square or rectangular shaped.....not round as expected.

No problem if you are using a as rectilinear 3d symbol.

I created a little test file for you, and I must say, I was surprised at the result. Not cutting a round hole

in the roof !!

So, take a look at the screenshot below, where I attempted to explain the situation.

*Also....if you do create your own 3d skylight symbols, make very sure that the symbol is going in a vertical direction, NOT plan, as well as selecting

'insert in walls' as Tom W mentioned. 

Otherwise the 3d skylight will not insert itself correctly into the roof,  when you drag the symbol from the resource manager to the roof object.

Sure you can't live with just a rectilinear shaped skylight?   :-)

186356219_DOMESKYLIGHT.thumb.jpg.8266e94d75713198437f6326b1d8e811.jpg

13 hours ago, Kevin K said:

@C.T A few thoughts.

Tom W is correct regarding the need to 3d model a round skylight...or any custom skylight of your choosing, but.....

There is a little issue with placing a round 3d object into a roof. Meaning, the 3d symbol will not work,  in that it will go into a roof or roof face,

But ......... the hole in the roof will be square or rectangular shaped.....not round as expected.

No problem if you are using a as rectilinear 3d symbol.

I created a little test file for you, and I must say, I was surprised at the result. Not cutting a round hole

in the roof !!

So, take a look at the screenshot below, where I attempted to explain the situation.

*Also....if you do create your own 3d skylight symbols, make very sure that the symbol is going in a vertical direction, NOT plan, as well as selecting

'insert in walls' as Tom W mentioned. 

Otherwise the 3d skylight will not insert itself correctly into the roof,  when you drag the symbol from the resource manager to the roof object.

Sure you can't live with just a rectilinear shaped skylight?   🙂

186356219_DOMESKYLIGHT.thumb.jpg.8266e94d75713198437f6326b1d8e811.jpg

Thanks for the clear graphic. I came to same conclusion.

Did you Clip the oval shape from the Roof Face as well as I did?
Or use a different method to punch the oval through?

12 hours ago, Kevin K said:

@Tom W. Yeah....not the end of days, but it does involve a few additional clicks 😉

Sure would be great if the folks at VW could facilitate using a round shape within the whole skylight paradigm.

That's no problem indeed. Although I agree, why only focus on rectangle skylights?

20 hours ago, Kevin K said:

Sure would be great if the folks at VW could facilitate using a round shape within the whole skylight paradigm.

Absolutely. Ideally wall hole geometry as with doors/windows so you can specify the exact geometry you want to subtract. You can use hole-cutting components of symbols on slabs as well as walls so roofs are very much the poor relation here