Sample Files, Tutorials, and Guides - update & release annually with product launch

E|FA

Question

@Wes Gardner & @JuanP I don't know if you have any say in this matter, but you are the most responsive VW employees to these requests on the forums (apologies if I'm forgetting anyone):

With the 2021 introduction of Materials and the new smart markers, there is a real need for updated model setup guides, sample files, and tutorials.  I have to believe that you have test files at different project scales that were made as part of development and testing, and would love for those to be made available to your customers.  

My office does primarily single family residences, so I'm looking for updated versions of the three items linked below.  Others will likely have similar resources that would be helpful to them.    For me, the best way to understand the changes would be to reverse engineer a well made model & drawing set. The guides and set-up tutorials that have been made available (in various places) in the past have also been great. My first priority would be getting a 2021 sample file with recommended best practices for document set up, including:

• Materials - walls styles, slab styles, window styles, framing members, 3D modeled objects, symbols, etc
  • Smart Markers - indicating where in the document to place markers (Design layer, Sheet Layer, SLVP Annotations?), and backlinked drawing labels
  • Structural Grids - including in plan, section, elevation, detail (?) SLVPs
  • Title Block - updated capabilities

I really don't understand why all of these materials aren't updated annually and released in conjunction with each year's product launch, and why @Jonathan Pickup and @JRA-Vectorworks-CAD can post in-depth tutorials on YouTube & their sites before VW does.

OUTDATED EXAMPLES BELOW:

https://university.vectorworks.net/mod/page/view.php?id=495

Edited by E|FA
  • Like 2

3 answers to this question

On 10/10/2020 at 10:01 PM, E|FA said:

I really don't understand why all of these materials aren't updated annually and released in conjunction with each year's product launch

There is always a bit of delay between functionality implementation and then writing the help/documentation on those functions because final implementation may be too close to release to have the tutorials etc. completed at release date. But it should be possible to do this for things which are known well ahead of time before release date and it would be nice if those things would be available and the things only finalize at the last minute could follow within let's say 4 weeks or so.

With all the customer success people showing up at companies (not just Vectorworks) it seems to me that this would be one area to stand out compared to the competition by having training/explanation materials ready at launch or very shortly after launch as that is crucial for customers to quickly adopt the new tools in a proper way instead of griping about how confusing the new stuff is or that it can't be used/is broken (while it may be working as designed) etc.

I have software for which "<product name> Bibles" etc. come out relatively soon after release, though there are also software products where it takes longer. For Vectorworks there are very few if any third party books available so it is even more important that Vectorworks makes such (extensive/thorough) documentation available themselves in a timely manner. (Being somewhat redundant here, I know 🙂 )

• Like 2
  • Administrator

16 minutes ago, Art V said:

There is always a bit of delay between functionality implementation and then writing the help/documentation on those functions because final implementation may be too close to release to have the tutorials etc. completed at release date. But it should be possible to do this for things which are known well ahead of time before release date and it would be nice if those things would be available and the things only finalize at the last minute could follow within let's say 4 weeks or so.

You are correct. It usually takes 3-4 weeks for us to start coming up with the new/updated content. For the training seminars starting in the 3er week of October, the training team is actively working on updating all content to version 2021. In here, we will be covering new features and new workflows as part of the Vectorworks 2021. 

On 10/10/2020 at 4:01 PM, E|FA said:
  • Materials - walls styles, slab styles, window styles, framing members, 3D modeled objects, symbols, etc
  • Smart Markers - indicating where in the document to place markers (Design layer, Sheet Layer, SLVP Annotations?), and backlinked drawing labels
  • Structural Grids - including in plan, section, elevation, detail (?) SLVPs
  • Title Block - updated capabilities

Most of the topics above will be covered as part fo the Architect seminar, first live session Oct 21st. You can see the training events calendar here: https://www.vectorworks.net/events/training

Thank you for all your feedback, and for additional information about 2021 features please check our Online HELP

@JuanP 

1. Will the Architect Essentials Seminar focus on the changes to 2021 (I've already attended the seminar in 2020)?  I appreciate that VW has made these free during Covid, so I can attend a second time if needed.

2. When can we expect a 2021 update to the VW University sample files (e.g. https://university.vectorworks.net/mod/page/view.php?id=495)?  Am I wrong in assuming that as part of the development & update process VW creates sample projects for testing & debugging purposes?  If they exist, it would be incredibly helpful for them to be made available.

3.  You mention that it takes 3-4 weeks to get training info out after release, yet the help system is ready on release day.  It seems that VW could prioritize getting the training and support files ready on the same timeline.  From my perspective, VW could zero out the "Teaser Tuesday" budget and use the funds to create this content.   I have the help system bookmarked and refer to it regularly.  It is very useful in terms of documenting specific tools and commands, but much less so in terms of proper workflows and file setups.  For instance, what is the recommended way to create a SLVP of a building section with the new smart markers?  The info on https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2021/eng/index.htm#t=VW2021_Guide%2FAnnotation%2FCreating_section-elevation_lines.htm is not clear whether the section/elevation line should be placed on the design layer or on the SLVP of the plan drawing (and if so inside the annotations?), or either.  

Thanks for keeping an eye on the forum and forwarding the comments to the appropriate people at VW.  

• Like 1