Use Wacom intuos tablet with Vectorworks?

Hi

I'm using Wacom intuos tablet with Vectorworks. Currently I have to use C key to zoom. In Cinema 4D, I just hold Ctrl + Alt + drap Right Mouse Button, I can zoom In/Out.

In Vectorworks, If I press C key they will exist command which is activing. It's not good because I have to zoom then press the previous command again.

Are there other solution?

When Vectorworks support Wacom Drawing Tablet? It become popular nowaday.

Thank

Travis

When you press the C-key it will activate the zoom tool in window mode. If you press the U key after pressing the C key you will get into interactive zoom mode (2nd icon in the top left corner of your document tab window left of the Zoom tool), you can also click on the 2nd icon if you want.

image.thumb.png.df4c903faa4d3e94ecfc738a8c2113e5.png

There is also a keyboard shortcut to get into interactive zoom mode but you have to do it in the proper order to make it work

1. press the spacebar - this will show the pan tool (Hand symbol)

2. while keeping the spacebar pressed also press the CTRL-key (Windows) or the CMD-key (?)(Apple) and then you should get into interactive zoom mode.

If you press the keys in reverse order you will only get the pan tool (of course you could then keep the spacebar pressed down, release the other key and then press the other key again). Upon releasing the interactive zoom tool you should still be in the previous command that was active before switching to the interactive zoom.

Releasing the CTRL/CMD key will get you into pan, pressing the CTRL/CMD again while holding the spacebar brings you back into interactive zoom, so you use pan/interactive zoom alternating while navigating around the drawing and not leaving the original command. (i.e. when releasing both spacebar and ctrl/cmd key you should be back with the command that was active)

image.png

Edited by Art V
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Travis.Designer said:

Are there other solution?

I haven't found any.

In Bricscad I use that Wacom Pen smart scroll option on MMB,

which also allows me to scroll through Palettes.

But I think that did not work for VW to Zoom though.

or 

because I did not want to give up my MMB (for panning ?)

I think I already asked for an alternative Option for VW View Navigation

by a "real" Mouse Button

(and as MMB by clunky Mouse Wheels isn't very comfortable anyway)

+ option key

many times since I bought my Cintiq, which is quite a few years now.

But it seems to be hardcoded  and the interest of VW low.

5 hours ago, Art V said:

When you press the C-key it will activate the zoom tool in window mode. If you press the U key after pressing the C key you will get into interactive zoom mode (2nd icon in the top left corner of your document tab window left of the Zoom tool), you can also click on the 2nd icon if you want.

image.thumb.png.df4c903faa4d3e94ecfc738a8c2113e5.png

There is also a keyboard shortcut to get into interactive zoom mode but you have to do it in the proper order to make it work

2. while keeping the spacebar pressed also press the CTRL-key (Windows) or the CMD-key (?)(Apple) and then you should get into interactive zoom mode.

If you press the keys in reverse order you will only get the pan tool (of course you could then keep the spacebar pressed down, release the other key and then press the other key again). Upon releasing the interactive zoom tool you should still be in the previous command that was active before switching to the interactive zoom.

Releasing the CTRL/CMD key will get you into pan, pressing the CTRL/CMD again while holding the spacebar brings you back into interactive zoom, so you use pan/interactive zoom alternating while navigating around the drawing and not leaving the original command. (i.e. when releasing both spacebar and ctrl/cmd key you should be back with the command that was active)

image.png

Thank @Art V

First time I know Space + Ctrl = Zoom. It's helpful when we work with Wacom tablet.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Travis.Designer said:

First time I know Space + Ctrl = Zoom. It's helpful when we work with Wacom tablet.

Unfortunately that all does not work for me here on Big Sur.

Neither VW 2021 where the new Quad Menu seems to interfere

nor with VW 2020 where I can only get PAN to work by

CMD>+SPACEBAR.

Interestingly in both, the standard SPACEBAR Pan does not work.

Like with VW 2021 usual disappearing of the Pan Hand, I have the

same in VW 2020 now.

Didn't I read since a year here that many people having had issues

with SPACBAR Pan no more working ?

Which I could never reproduce for me at that time.

(Maybe it would just need a OS restart ...)

Edited by zoomer

The space bar + Ctrl is a bit touchy with my Win 10 and Wacom intuos 4...

Most of the time it works - some of the time I have to pause for a second or two for it to 'catch' which is a bit frustrating.

And if you don't hit the spacebar decidedly first it does catch at all...

For navigation I use:

• spacebar to pan
  • spacebar+ctrl to zoom.
  • upper pen button (set to MMB in the wacom app) + ctrl to activate flyover.

Note.

For the flyover tool I've found using 'interactive origin mode' and  keying (shift+C) to reset the flyover origin when necessary is the cleanest way to focus the flyover tool.

Nothing like the super smooth 'Alt plus' navigation that Maya has... I even used to set 3Dstudiomax to use the maya navigation as it really is the best...

The new 'Quad Menu' doesn't work for me with a quick tap of the space bar - I think because the 'mouse' has to be still and with a wacom that never happens.

I've set the '1' key to be my keyboard shortcut and it seems to work well to get me to the quad menu quickly.

Edited by hollister design Studio
  • Like 1
26 minutes ago, zoomer said:

No problem with right clicks here so far.

D'oh!  I'm an idiot...

I've set pen button '1' to key in  'X' so I can quickly get out of commands.

That's also how I have my Wacom set up in all those other programs... using button '1' for 'enter' or what ever seems most often used and button '2' for MMB

I just got used to using my lefthand mouse for right click I completely forgot that it was a choice on my part!

Edited by hollister design Studio
6 hours ago, hollister design Studio said:

The space bar + Ctrl is a bit touchy with my Win 10 and Wacom intuos 4...

Most of the time it works - some of the time I have to pause for a second or two for it to 'catch' which is a bit frustrating.

And if you don't hit the spacebar decidedly first it does catch at all...

For navigation I use:

• spacebar to pan
  • spacebar+ctrl to zoom.
  • upper pen button (set to MMB in the wacom app) + ctrl to activate flyover.

Note.

For the flyover tool I've found using 'interactive origin mode' and  keying (shift+C) to reset the flyover origin when necessary is the cleanest way to focus the flyover tool.

Nothing like the super smooth 'Alt plus' navigation that Maya has... I even used to set 3Dstudiomax to use the maya navigation as it really is the best...

The new 'Quad Menu' doesn't work for me with a quick tap of the space bar - I think because the 'mouse' has to be still and with a wacom that never happens.

I've set the '1' key to be my keyboard shortcut and it seems to work well to get me to the quad menu quickly.

Hi @hollister design Studio

I also confront delay when use space + ctrl = zoom.

I think this general graphic problem of Vectorworks. How Vectorworks show graphic and navigation are different with 3DS Max, C4D and more 3d software.

This is my wacom setup:

image.thumb.png.87cac1ee6174e1efe19f314867240efb.png

I change Right Click in lower button because we use RMB frequently and when press lower button it make pen less moving than Higher button. Higher button I will use to orbit.

• Like 1
On 10/10/2020 at 3:40 AM, Art V said:

Here is my navigation wishlist:

MMB enters 'boomerang pan' - so with the second wacom pen button set to MMB you can pan in the middle of a process.

If while you are MMB panning you want to rotate you can hit Ctrl to enter 'boomerang flyover'.

But you have to release the MMB, and then hit the spacebar, and then hit the Ctrl key to 'boomerang zoom'.

I would love MMB+Alt to be boomerang zoom!

You would then have full navigation with MMB plus 1 extra key entry!

I should post this on the Wishlist forum....

• Like 1