please help: exporting VMX to DWG

Dear team of vectorworks forum

For a project i received a VMX file but i use Autocad and do not have Vectorworks software myself. After some research i discovered that importing the file into autocad is basically only possible by exporting it from Vectorworks as a DWG file. Would someone here be able to help me export my file? 

Thank you in advance!

Lies

When exporting the drawing to DWG it seem to hang on a particular block (out of 29000+ objects), I'll try to find a workaround for that if it keeps getting stuck on that object because Vectorworks does not have an audit command like AutoCAD to fix possible issues with objects. Or it is a quite large object that just takes time. So it may take a bit longer to provide the DWG file.

Thank you Art, for trying to make it work.

Is it possible to identify what the object/block is that is causing the delay? perhaps it is not a vital part of the plan. I can imagine the following: the person who made this file uploaded a floorplan on which he then designed the interior. This floorplan was originally a cadfile which is now a block with that number of objects. This reference can be excluded from the export whilst still being very useful for me

@Lies.S are you looking for 2D or 3D information?  The file has some very detailed representation of common entourage items such as computer keyboards, interiror plantings, etc.  If all you need is a simple 2D floorplan, a lot could be eliminated from the file prior to exporting to DWG.

If you describe exactly what you need, it should be easy to export.

Attached are some images of the what is found in the file.

It looks like an office buildout/TI within an existing structure.  Whomever did the furniture layout is the cause of the file's bloat and problems.

Screen Shot 2020-10-11 at 4.47.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-11 at 4.47.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-11 at 4.46.21 PM.png

Edited by jeff prince

Yes there is quite a bit of too detailed general stuff,mostly because they are triangulated surface meshes typical for AutoCAD e.g. with one of the couches there are 30,000 mesh face polygons for the couch, not even closed polygons, within the mesh for that object where 36 faces should be sufficient (3 seats and 3 back cushions with each 6 faces).

I've reduced most of the meshed stuff symbols by simplifying the meshes with a factor of 10-30 in case the issue was with that, but that doesn't appear the case. Symbols are used extensively, which is a good thing, removing one half of  the drawing did seem to solve the issue as it got past the number of objects where it got stuck but then it got stuck again. The problem with the export getting stuck is with one (or more) of the symbols. Some of the symbols are relatively clean but others are a mesh mess and are symbols with grouped symbols and should have been remodelled to get a much much simpler geometry but the latter is just my opinion.

The imported plan layout isn't the issue, those are just 2D lines/polylines/polygons.

I'll try to locate the bugger object so that it can be exported properly (with simplified mesh geometry for the mesh symbols)

Thank you @jeff prince and @Art V. I am learning to understand Vectorworks a bit. Unfortunatly who made the design is no longer willing to cooperate which is why i am trying to get the information out of this model (if you would be concerned: He was properly contracted and payed for his work, but had a fallout with the rest of the team so i cannot go to him with these questions/to provide me with dimensions of his plan). 

I can do without most of the furniture, desks/chairs/screens/stools/lamps i can redraw in cad. In the screenshot provided by jeff i tried to highligt/identify what elements i preferably have in cad, because with that i can reproduce this plan and develop it for execution. 2d would be sufficient for me, and i could do without most of the furniture. I can rebuild the plan in autocad if i have the floorplan with the new walls, and in either 3d or 2d the view of the existing core where he designed with wooden slats an red printed/LED design.

Thank you for your time invested already!

elements.jpg

• Like 1

@Lies.S It took a while but the issue appeared to be with the closed office door symbol, most likely the lock of that door. I have removed that door symbol and the grouped instances of that door symbol so there are no closed office doors anymore.

After that the file exported into DWG without having to modify anything else. The resulting (much smaller) DWG from the export is attached. It is in DWG2018 format.

Definitief ontwerp_20200918 v2021 deur verwijderd-dwg.zip

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Hi @Lies.S no need to thank me other than saying thanks, it's how we do this on this forum, but if you insist you  could make a donation to the local voedselbank or the dierenbescherming/asiel for those in need 🙂

Yes I'm Dutch as well but work for clients who have a mostly English speaking workplace (they often have lots of international employees and most projects are outside The Netherlands) so that is why I am using the US version and hang out here instead of the Benelux forum.