Copy-paste grouped Viewports across files to be restored now.

_c_

Question

20 minutes ago, Sam Jones said:

Do the objects the VP references exist in the new drawing?

Yep it was the 'I've done something stupid' option! 😁

I have a big map in a template file + I wanted to bring a small portion of it into another file.

Big map in one file:

1336765219_Screenshot2021-10-12at22_04_26.thumb.png.5e2d1f15a91a9354aa571557c2109ed3.png

Small portion I wanted in the other file:

2032132593_Screenshot2021-10-12at22_04_47.png.771d49f3e73fa53eeb02a2f46d14138a.png

I was in a rush + thought oh I can try out copying + pasting a VP from one file to another but didn't really think it through...

So out of interest, what is an example of where you might copy a VP from one file to another if both files have to contain the same geometry? I can't think of a circumstance when I'd want/need to do this but again probably me being stupid.

And what would be the best way to achieve what I wanted to do? In the event, I just took a screen shot of the VP in the source file + pasted the bitmap into the target file but then I lost the scale info. Now I've done it again + this time I created a referenced DLVP of my source file then made my VP from that.

What I'd normally do, when I know I will be using the map is obviously start off using the map template file. But this time round I started off with a blank file then only thought afterwards that I'd like to display part of the map on a sheet layer...

Thanks

You shouldn't have to group the vp prior to copy anymore (as of vw2021).

I often copy vps from one file to another as I do a lot of my detailing in the annotation space. If I am working on a project that has similar details as another it's handy to simply copy and past the vp and carry all the annotations through with it. Having the same layer and class standards in both files helps.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Tom W. said:

So out of interest, what is an example of where you might copy a VP from one file to another if both files have to contain the same geometry? I can't think of a circumstance when I'd want/need to do this but again probably me being stupid

Not stupid, different industry; although there may be a similar circumstance in yours.

I do different shows in different theaters, and while the geometry is different from theater to theater, it is usually very similar.  Additionally, even when a venue has a significantly different geometry, my drawing will have my usual layer and class structure.  It is much easier to copy and paste sheet layer VPs and adjust the crop.  That way I don't have to worry about layer visibilities and overrides, and I don't have to worry about class visibility and overrides, and the data visualization is already set up.  So much time is saved when copying a SLVP instead of trying to set it up from scratch.  Sometimes after a file has been upgraded a number of times it is time to copy and paste everything into a new file.  I have a scripts that will help me copy the layer and class structure to a new files, but getting the VPs set up is a bitch copying and pasting from the old file does not seem to take away the advantages I gained by creating a new file.

I'm @_c_ can probably come up with a bunch of architectural workflow examples

Edited by Sam Jones
spelling
  • Like 2