3d modeling in VW is annoying!

I work for a smaller company that installs fixed lifting systems and curtains etc for theatres and arenas. I switched to vectorworks because I wanted to streamline the way I make drawings and because we need to be more and more BIM compatible. We have our own lifting system that I have mostly drawn in Fusion 360. And when needed I would just export them as DWG, all different angles, clean them up and use them in autocad Lt to get a plan view of the upcoming installation. This is why VW attracted me, to have it all in one package.

The problem I am having is that modeling in VW i horrible compared to fusion or solidworks, but importing models, stp or iges, isnt working to well either for me, they always end up too detailed or something looks off.

Is it that i just need to get used to modeling in VW or does anyone else feel this way? Do you have any good workarounds or tips?

Not having driving dimension associated to lines etc is driving me crazy for example.

I don't think you are going to get any good advice with a title and description like that.  You are comparing Solidworks to Vectorworks and complaining?  That's like complaining about how useless a rake is for digging a hole 🙂  Is your intention to move to modeling your lifting systems in Vectorworks?

You're comparing modelling software to drafting software...apples and oranges in a lot of ways. I don't know Fusion 360 but have some experience with Solidworks. For pure 3D object design it's amazing but compared to Vectorworks it's incredibly clunky for creating the sets of BIM type drawings for theaters and sound stages that Vectorworks excels at. Vectorworks will do excellent 3D drawings once you learn it better.

I remember going from the Whole Hog lighting console to the MA. My biggest problem (besides the fact the original MA manuals sucked beyond belief) was continuing to think in Whole Hog terms and function while trying to use the MA. Eventually I learned what the MA did the same only with another name, what the MA would the do the same but in a different way and what the MA would do the Whole Hog could not.

You just have to accept the learning curve and put in the time. It's worth it. Vectorworks is by far the best software for general theatre/film/event design.

The title was a bit misleading and maybe it was more of a venting situation yesterday...  the forum might not be the place for that, sorry about that!

But I'm thankful for the replies!

I realize that VW isnt made for the same thing.

@jeff prince & @Jeff Bonny Yes that is exactly what I am trying to do, I want to build a library with our own parts, native to the program instead of importing everything.

It's just hard to find good tutorials for some of the simpler things, it's like there is a large gap between modeling a  simple cube and modeling more advanced objects. But maybe that's just my experience so far.

But you are both right, I just have to give it time and try to learn.

18 hours ago, MFpsrig said:

I work for a smaller company that installs fixed lifting systems and curtains etc for theatres and arenas. I switched to vectorworks because I wanted to streamline the way I make drawings and because we need to be more and more BIM compatible. We have our own lifting system that I have mostly drawn in Fusion 360. And when needed I would just export them as DWG, all different angles, clean them up and use them in autocad Lt to get a plan view of the upcoming installation. This is why VW attracted me, to have it all in one package.

The problem I am having is that modeling in VW i horrible compared to fusion or solidworks, but importing models, stp or iges, isnt working to well either for me, they always end up too detailed or something looks off.

Is it that i just need to get used to modeling in VW or does anyone else feel this way? Do you have any good workarounds or tips?

Not having driving dimension associated to lines etc is driving me crazy for example.

To some extent, you always favour what you are used to. I can use AutoCAD if I have to, but I feel way more comfortable in VW as I'm used to it. 

You also have to remember that VW has it's core use base in architecture, whereas SolidWorks and Fusion are fundamentally mechanical design programs. Architectural modelling differs to mechanical modelling in that it to very high extent consists of basic and often parametric shapes, though it massive volumes, whereas mechanical modelling is much more focused on individual shaping.

VW is for sure not as good as the mechanical program at more complex shapes, but it does do a decent job as long as it's not too complex. Basic solid modelling works fairly well, whereas advanced freeform NURBS based shaping is probably best done in other programs. Nothing strange about that. Most people doing advanced drawing work are using a number of different programs. I do. 

@MFpsrig I understand your needs and situation!

As we plan the training, we'll include the different parts of advanced 3D-modelling in VW, importing and using STEP files, creating your own parts-library of symbols and attaching the BIM data to them - to have it all in one powerful and still flexible package!

• Like 1