2020 - LIVE Design Day additional questions

This event is being heavily promoted and I wonder if the leaders within the company will be using it to pay attention to some of our issues.

The registration page had an area for me to list the topics I would like to discuss, here are just a few of the ones I listed:

Why Vectorworks is not addressing technical support questions I sent via Service Select, Tech Support, and the Forum.  Why tools such as Slabs and Hardscapes have disjointed workflows in regards to how they handle texture assignments.  When will Stacked Walls with different components in the same vertical plane be developed.  When will walls have the ability to add Caps(both flush and overhanging) and Footings be added.  Why isn't Vectorworks University organized in such a way that we can use it to easily train employees on the software's usage?

I've decided to add some of my favorite unresolved issues to my signature line, it's limited to 7 lines of signature though...

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • JuanP pinned this topic

My other question was about the automation process for plan production. What is the road map here? So far 2D Plan and horizontal sections are a mess. I can edit design layers to have a height for the section plane. But so far the tools are barely making use of it and haven't been touched since a while. Horizontal sections are no good because we can not work in them like in 2D Plan. A concrete answer here would be helpful.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, elepp said:

And another is in regards to Solibri. It was mentioned that a better integration is in the works. What does that mean?

Without able to comment too much since this task is under review, this is the gist of it:
"This task creates an instant communication channel between Vectorworks and Solibri Office (former Solibri Model Checker), it allows users to transfer their Vectorworks model to Solibri Office (full or partial) and exchange model metadata and selection state of objects from Solibri Office back to Vectorworks.

• Like 4
40 minutes ago, JuanP said:

Without able to comment too much since this task is under review, this is the gist of it:
"This task creates an instant communication channel between Vectorworks and Solibri Office (former Solibri Model Checker), it allows users to transfer their Vectorworks model to Solibri Office (full or partial) and exchange model metadata and selection state of objects from Solibri Office back to Vectorworks.

@JuanP Thanks for the clarification. You are probably not in the position to devulge a timeline? Like VW 2021 SP3? Nod twice for "Yes"! 😉

• Like 1

Here are the questions I submitted at registration for the event:

Why Vectorworks is not addressing technical support questions I sent via Service Select, Tech Support, and the Forum.  Why tools such as Slabs and Hardscapes have disjointed workflows in regards to how they handle texture assignments.  When will Stacked Walls with different components in the same vertical plane be developed.  When will walls have the ability to add Caps(both flush and overhanging) and Footings be added.  Why isn't Vectorworks University organized in such a way that we can use it to easily train employees on the software's usage?

I didn't hear any of them addressed.  My signature line has a few of my issues that have gone unresolved for ages...

hi,

adobe updates their cs suite more then one time a year with smaller features.

sketchup does it similar

vw does a one time cycle update (the old way)

do you guys rethink this update behaviour?

i think more smaller updates a year could be better, with features that are

ready to release. with the one year cycle the devs have more pressure and

maybe the features are in a „beta“ state at release.

can we get enhanced nurbs functionality?

there are lots of cool rhino commands, that would fit well for vw.

so please more love for nurbs. copy and paste some commands

from rhino.

doors, stairs, windows tools should be rewritten from the ground.

whats the plan?

can we get a more transparent roadmap for the future of vw?

some small steps are made, hope for more.

can we get more love for the navigation palette?

underlaying colors for layers, classes

group for layers, parting line (no dummy layer for this)

is there a plan to enhance vw with tags for objects?

whats the plan with push/pull?

can we get p/p for edges, points, surfaces (planar AND non planar)

i stop now, otherwise this could be a very long list ...

• Like 1
  • Administrator
47 minutes ago, jeff prince said:

well that was a softball Q&A session 😞

Not that I expected my questions to be addressed...

Hi Jeff, I apologize that we couldn't answer your questions live,. However, I'll do my best to either answer or find the most appropriate person to reply to most of the questions.

48 minutes ago, jeff prince said:

Why Vectorworks is not addressing technical support questions I sent via Service Select, Tech Support, and the Forum.

If we did not address any of your questions or dropped the ball in any instance, we didn't do it on purpose. I'll work with Joe, our tech support manager, to improve the systems to avoid this situation in the future. I'll be happy to follow up on any pending cases you might have. Feel free to email me at jalmansa@vectorworks.net
The tech support team is ready to help and assist all users. We have extended hours from 9 am to 8 pm EST.

1 hour ago, jeff prince said:

Why tools such as Slabs and Hardscapes have disjointed workflows in regards to how they handle texture assignments.

This is squarely in our sights, and we are studying and planning for improvements to the “texture workflow UI.” As a reengineering effort, it is early to know when and how these will be revealed in the future. I will comment more as soon as I get more information form R&D. 

1 hour ago, jeff prince said:

Why isn't Vectorworks University organized in such a way that we can use it to easily train employees on the software's usage?

This is the first version of the University. As a new product, we still have some functionality that is not there yet and some other that is in currently in implementation and the one that is been requested by our users.

I think "Learning Paths" will be the feature that will facilitate the process of onboarding new employees, our development team is currently working on this feature and is expected to be released in Q1 - 2021.

If you have additional wishes or opportunities (bugs 😉) that you would like to submit, go to the University and under the login dialog box click on Feedback and fill up the form, in that way you will be helping us to shape the future on this platform. Thanks

• Like 2
  • JuanP pinned this topic

@JuanP Thanks for your reply.  I'll send you a copy of one of my exchanges with tech support that illustrates how things have been handled thusfar.  I'll send you a second email with a specific plea for help on obtaining a specification for creating image props for plants so we can create plant objects that behave like the ones included with Vectorworks when exporting.  This should be low hanging fruit in terms of solving an issue.

Good to hear Vectorworks University is adopting the idea of "learning paths", that will be helpful.

Also good to hear that the texture workflow is being studied, I'm optimistic about any future improvements.

thanks again,

Jeff

• Administrator

A question from our live sessions:

Howard Lloyd  -  The online learning seminars are invaluable at this time. Are there plans to increase the frequency of these?”

• We will be adding more dates as we keep filling up our seminars, currently we are offering three different  times 8 am, 1 pm and 6 pm EST. All these seminars will remain free until the end of year. 

• Like 1
  • Administrator

A question from our live sessions:

·       CAN  -  "Why we can not import or export to Archicad"

• I don't see many requests for this file format from my experience in Tech support and training. However, we are focused on IFC (Industry Foundation Classes), an open file format that will be a more neutral platform, and will play better with Archicad and other BIM solutions in the market.
  • Like 2
  • JuanP unpinned this topic