More than incremental updates to windows, doors and stairs

Christiaan

Question

21 answers to this question

Ha, yes, I submitted my own but it didn't even make the cut. I agree with your analysis but I think urgency is still not winning the day. It seems to me that somebody at Vectorworks is still winning the argument that these tools can't be the priority.

P.S. remember to upvote.

Edited by Christiaan
  • Like 1

Agree, needs a fundamental re-write/re-engineer. I know they have to put a positive spin on things but the 'incremental updates' made me chuckle a little. Some things got a very definite 'it will be ready for the next version' and I was sad to hear this doesn't seem to be the case for the window, door and stair tool. Not to be crass but it reminds me of the phrase "you can't polish a turd" and it seems that these incremental improvements are getting close to that. 

• Like 1

I would also love for some VW employees to chime in here with what's planned for the tool, throughout the section of the talk I heard people were encouraged to take to the forum to chat in more detail with people from VW - it would be great to hear what's coming for these tools

4 hours ago, Christiaan said:

Ha, yes, I submitted my own but it didn't even make the cut. I agree with your analysis but I think urgency is still not winning the day. It seems to me that somebody at Vectorworks is still winning the argument that these tools can't be the priority.

P.S. remember to upvote.

I submitted a similar question as well.. seems like they don't really want to address this in a public/live forum..

On 10/6/2020 at 9:27 AM, Christiaan said:

In the Design Day Live Europe Q&A a question about future development of windows, doors and stairs was answered by way of pointing out that Vectorworks is always working on incremental updates to these tools and prioritising which updates to include.

Windows, doors and stairs are at the core of our experience, but these tools have been missing key features for many years.

Can we have a release where major updates to these tools—instead of incremental updates—are one of the biggest focuses of the release?

Yes Please. Major updates really needed.

I agree with all of the above (and have continually been upvoting this topic for years whenever it pops up again).

For Vw Engineering’s reference, here’s a link to a 2018 ‘Stair Tool - Pain Points’ thread started by previous Vw employee @PVA - Jim, almost all of the points of which are still needing to be addressed as of Vw2021. Thanks.

Edited by rDesign
  • Like 2
On 10/6/2020 at 7:26 PM, dtheory said:

I submitted a similar question as well.. seems like they don't really want to address this in a public/live forum..

This is presumably because the person winning the argument that these tools should only get incremental updates is near the top of the food chain.

Edited by Christiaan
  • Like 1

The latest TRXL Podcast with guest Dane Stokes had a good remark about Revit that would also apply to Vectorworks. He mentioned that in the university they had to delete their projects and draw them from scratch again. The result were better designs, because the initial problems were solved. Autodesk should have deleted the old Revit code and written everything anew. Maybe the same should apply to Vectorworks. 🤔 It's basically the same issues plaguing us architects with our design. In Germany we say: "Hinterher ist man immer schlauer" or in English "Hindsight is always 20/20".

• Like 1
11 hours ago, JuanP said:

@line-weightVery creative 🙂

I have been paying attention to the forums, it that just sometimes I don't have all the answers.
As I mentioned in previous posts and Biplab and Steve mentioned during the live Q&A at Design Day, we plan to release our roadmap of features and improvements for version 2022 before the end of the year and later on Q1-2021 one more that will include our 2 to 5 years roadmap. 
We have been collecting all your feedback, and we are aware of the importance of updating Windows, doors, and stairs. I will be providing more information as becomes available.

Hi, thanks for the update. Very much appreciated. I can imagine that it can be a bit frustrating also for you guys at VW Inc. with us complaining in the forum. But at least for myself I can say that it comes from a place of appreciation for the work you all put in. Sometimes I have the feeling we are in a relationship with VW Inc. and we are considering if we should head for couple counseling.

• Love 1
On 10/13/2020 at 6:35 PM, line-weight said:

Silence of the Jambs (PG)

In a story that spans the first few decades of the 21st century, an increasingly desperate architect seeks answers from his CAD supplier as to whether he'll ever be able to put an end to years of BIM carnage resulting from the dysfunctional insertion of doors, windows and other elements. Suspense builds throughout as he attempts to interpret cryptic clues, and questions remain unanswered. As time goes by, a looming sense of mortality weighs heavily as he wonders whether the truth will ever become clear. A slow-burning drama; the protagonist's internal battle between hope and ennui may not sustain interest for all audiences.

How can I pin this one as my favourite post of the year?

• Like 1