matteoluigi

Worksheet "SUM(CELL1:CELL2)??? WHY only "SUM(a,b,c,d,...,z)

Question

Sometimes there are missing things in Vectorworks which are really elementary... like having a doorbell at home without a button at the entrance-door for ringing... nearly.

Actually I'm wondering again, what the worksheet-"sum" function really is for, when it's just for adding more variables one to the other instead of calculating a sum of a defined area.

In Excel the function does look the following way: "SUM(A1:A20)" and it does create a sum from the complete cell-content from cell "A1" to cell "A20".

(https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/sum-function-043e1c7d-7726-4e80-8f32-07b23e057f89)

could be a greatnew feature for Vectorworks 2022

Maybe people don't need it very often, but, when you need this function, you really miss it.

8 answers to this question

This notation can be seen by typing =SUM( and then using the mouse to drag over a range of cells.  The cell IDs will populate into the formula. Then you only need to add the closed parenthesis.  Or close it first and click back between the parens and do the same drag to fill the cells of interest.

sorry, but, then the tooltip in the worksheet-functions-window is bad. (or maybe it's the translator's fault? I don't know) 😉

Bildschirmfoto 2020-10-07 um 08.53.40.png

You are correct. It appears that none of the tool tips show that a range is acceptable.

i wrote a message to the german serviceselect-team, too 😉 so they can implement it in the german translation, at least

And I have submitted to the Enhancement Request tracker. Hopefully this will be fixed for an upcoming versions. In a quick look through the list, it appears that Min, Max, and Average also need the same enhancement to the tool tips.

Thanks both! We'll get that taken care of in English too, and that generally triggers all the localizers to look again.

• Like 2