Nebeor

VW2021: SDK projects crash on runtime Debug, but not on Release

Hello everybody,

I am planning to migrate my plugins to Vectorworks 2021

However, when I try to run on debug, the loading screen of Vectorworks halts on the SDK code

somewhere down in the destructor of the TXString. (this happens with my own code, just as with the sample project).

image.thumb.png.878ee9a6fba647070d418835132ebba7.png

I can see this is due to the _ITERATOR_DEBUG_LEVEL, I think it tries to warn me about something,  but I don't see how this connects with my code...because I don't see any in my stacktrace.

Iterating over the code with a breakpoint didn't helped me either... It crashed after exiting ModuleMain...

When I build with Release: most of the things works, but in order to fix the things that are broken, I need the debugger.

I am looking forward to your answers!

Posted (edited)

On Windows, you cannot use the Debug mode, as on Windows the C(++) runtime for Debug and Release differ, but VW is available for us (third party developers) only as Release mode.

See what I had written months ago:

Edited by Nicolas Goutte
  • Sad 1

Thank you for you reply,

Does this mean that the workaround on http://developer.vectorworks.net/index.php/SDK:Debugging_SDK_Plugins will eventually work?

If not, I don't see the point of this tutorial.

I just want to be able to use breakpoints and watches, nothing fancy like "Edit and Continue" which i've never used with Vectorworks before.

Right now, I managed to make a copy from the "release" config work as "debug", but i am still not able to connect with the debugger.

Yes you can use the Fake-Debug trick. As long as the C++ code is not optimized, the breakpoints should work correctly and be at the right place.