Window PIO: different number of columns on each row

I want to make a window with 3 rows: top row being 1 panel, middle row being 3 panels, and bottom row being 1 panel.

I tried using a transom for the top panel and the custom sash options for the next two rows but I don't see how you create a different number of columns for each row in the custom sash options?

Christiaan,

I don't believe there is a way just yet. Note to NNA, it would be most helpful with the "Custom" window layout to be able to assign different heights and #'s of windows to each row of windows.

A work around that I have had reasonable success with is:

Make two windows. The first would be your lower sash - set at top of window. Duplicate this window and reassign the elevation value to set at sill height. Then customize it to have provide three lites. Apply the Transom to this window and check the Clerestory function. You can then insert the second window in the wall directly above the first and it will display dashed in plan view. Tweak as needed for trim.

This will give you a pretty close approximation although not exact.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

This can be done straightforwardly using the custom sash option in vwa12. Choose custom sash, choose 3 rows and 3 columns, set your first panel to be full width of the top row, navigate down to first panel in the bottom row, then set it to be full width. That's it. (Your wish is our command [smile]

Ha, I did actually initially try that but, for whatever reason, it just squeezed the other panels aside instead of making them disappear.

Now that I've tried it, following your exact instructions, it works. I think you need to make sure you don't size the other panels before creating the full width one or something.

Thanks. [smile]

Actually I still can't create the window I need because of the way the tool works.

Try creating this example for instance, and let me know if you can: a window 2900mm high and and 2275mm wide. 3 rows: top row being 1 panel (600mm high), middle row being 3 panels, and bottom row being 1 panel (1100 high).

The way the tool currently works there doesn't seem to be a way to get this configuration. If you create 3 rows and 3 columns, then make the top and bottom panels full width, then try to make each row the heights as above you can't because only the first panel in the middle row resizes dynamically (being in the same column as the panels that were made full width).

If you go the other way and create 3 rows first, then make these the correct heights and lock them, then try to add the 3 columns it simply resets all the panels to be equal size.

[ 03-27-2006, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: Christiaan ]

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Christiaan, I was able to do it, although I had to "beat up" the dialog a little bit to make it work. Make a 3x3, go across your entire top row making each pane the proper height, then do the same with the bottom row, then navigate to the upper left pane and set its width to the full width, then same with the lower left pane. You should now have a five-pane window.