2021: Issue with "Current Layer Cable Report"

ryanww

Hello,

When running "Current Layer Cable Report", It seems no matter what layer i'm on, its pulling up the same list of source/destination device items with its associated cable type (from a layer not shown/selected), but the Cable number, rack and rack space number is being filled by the shown layers data.

Attached is one of the devices and numbered cable sets, as well as the report data with some of these on it. You can clearly see something is very wrong with the data and certainly not lining up with the numbers and associated devices.

Screen Shot 2020-10-03 at 7.06.54 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-03 at 7.07.29 AM.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Ryan

You've got us a bit puzzled. As far as we can see this is working fine. But the worksheet in the file you sent me is in a strange state and I can't figure out how it got that way. Any information about the sequence of actions you made leading up to this would help. The workaround as I sent you PM but here for the benefit of others is to go to the Resource Manager, delete the worksheet there. Then re-run the Cable Report command and the default worksheet will be pulled in from application default content automatically.

Best regards

Conrad

Hey Conrad,

I didn't do anything crazy to get there. I did do the majority in 2020 and then converted to 2021 and its had many revisions. So maybe something with that?

I did that and looks like the data is correct. However it does not seem to be adding the work sheets back into the resource manager. Is there a way to add them back into there? I suppose I probably dont really need them in there, but good to know.

7 hours ago, ryanww said:

I did that and looks like the data is correct. However it does not seem to be adding the work sheets back into the resource manager. Is there a way to add them back into there? I suppose I probably dont really need them in there, but good to know.

- They should be in the Resource Manager, probably not in the same folder anymore. Look at top level and you should find the worksheet there.

Hi Ryan,

8 hours ago, ryanww said:

I didn't do anything crazy to get there.

I'm sure of that! Just trying to get a handle on how the condition arose (if we can). Generally the philosophy with ConnectCAD is to keep restrictions to a minimum so that you have a lot of 'get out of jail' cards. That comes along with the power to mess things up a bit :-). If this comes up again let me know.

Conrad

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

- They should be in the Resource Manager, probably not in the same folder anymore. Look at top level and you should find the worksheet there.

Yeah - found them at the base level. Didn't look the other day. Thanks!

6 hours ago, Conrad Preen said:

Hi Ryan,

I'm sure of that! Just trying to get a handle on how the condition arose (if we can). Generally the philosophy with ConnectCAD is to keep restrictions to a minimum so that you have a lot of 'get out of jail' cards. That comes along with the power to mess things up a bit :-). If this comes up again let me know.

Conrad

I think they must have just been left over from 2020. There were a lot of things within this drawing which I had to redo. One of them was any piece of rack gear which I made as a device but didn't set the RU attribute when creating the device. When I updated the rack view, it created a new device on the rack drawing without the settings I manually did on the rack page even though there was an existing one in the same place already in that spot.

Another thing I noticed in 2020 was that you can connect to both sides of a data termination panel. 2021 doesn't seem to let you. I have to move a side off temporarily, connect the 2nd part then manually move it back. 

I'm going to send the 2020 version of this for you to look at.

Edited by ryanww
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Conrad,

There is still some weirdness around the worksheets to the devices themselves.. I updated the "loc_rack" and rack u on the device report and it's not pushing to the devices themselves. I've actually removed the RK-01 reference from the project (no more actual rack, all panel based) and can't get that TPC device to update..

1000013945_ScreenShot2020-10-19at11_38_38AM.thumb.png.555b82dc54f4c4709a02d124d3310562.png

Hi Ryan,

Yes. That's because all the parameters are in fact Circuit parameters that the Circuit objects gathers up from the connected devices. Vectorworks reports can't do a database JOIN as things stand - maybe one day in the future. Meanwhile we simulate this by doing all the work in the Circuit.

Conrad

11 hours ago, ryanww said:

Hey Conrad,

There is still some weirdness around the worksheets to the devices themselves.. I updated the "loc_rack" and rack u on the device report and it's not pushing to the devices themselves. I've actually removed the RK-01 reference from the project (no more actual rack, all panel based) and can't get that TPC device to update..

1000013945_ScreenShot2020-10-19at11_38_38AM.thumb.png.555b82dc54f4c4709a02d124d3310562.png

- One other thing that might be happening here is that your Device is linked to an equipment item with the same name and is taking its location data from that equip item. If that is the case, you can move your equipment in the location you want it to be and then the device will get updated automatically.