Can't edit length of interior elevation section-elevation line

sara.t

Question

I'm trying to figure out why I can't adjust the interior elevation section-elevation line length. When I click "edit section lines..." it shows the section line and i can control the depth, but there are no control points on either end of the line so i'm unable to adjust the length of the section line. Any ideas? I have unrestricted active scaling mode on, and i've tried using the reshape tool and it says "not available when all selected section-elevation lines are using the elevation configuration".

Would appreciate any help! thanks.

Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 11.05.33 AM.png

7 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@sara.t Welcome to the Forum!

Which version of Vectorworks and Service Pack (SP) are you currently using? You can find this under the Vectorworks menu > About Vectorworks.

In the lower left of that same About Vectorworks window, it is a good idea to press "Check for Updates" to see if there is a newer SP you should be using. If you need to update, please do then re-check to see if the issue persists. (It also helps to add your computer specs and Vectorworks version info to your Community Forum signature. You can do this via the icon in the upper right corner > Account Settings > Signature.)

If you are up-to-date with your SPs for the Vectorworks version you are running, try saving and closing the file, and re-opening it. It that doesn't solve it, trying quitting Vectorworks and restarting it, then checking again. If that doesn't solve it, try restarting your computer and checking again.

About the interior elevation extents, as I check the same thing in VW2021 SP0 (the initial release), I'm not seeing the same blue handles you are (which made me wonder about the Vectorworks version and SP you are using). Below is an image of what I get. As expected, I am able to change the length of the interior elevation using the two handles that I have highlighted.

image.png

Please check back in here with your Vectorworks version and we can go from there. This may be something that our tech support team should look at with you but a simple SP update may take care of it.

Thanks Neil. I am working on V2021 and have SP1. I've updated my signature to include my imac specs. I have shut down, restarted the computer and nothing has seemed to help. I did start a new file and just drew a simple four walled box and tried placing the view>create interior view elevation and it worked. the only difference i see in the settings is the new file has the "configuration" set to section, whereas my existing file has it set to elevation. in both instances the pull down menu is greyed out so i cannot edit this.

do you think it has something to do with the room extents set by levels/stories? i'm perplexed...

Screen Shot 2020-10-06 at 3.38.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-06 at 3.38.26 PM.png

Hi @sara.t, That is unusual and I'm not able to reproduce it here with either existing or new files.

The engineers would like to take a look at your file to determine what is happening. Could you please submit your file that is exhibiting this issue via the Bug Submit page here.

Thanks... we'll get to the bottom of what's going on.

This was intended to work like that. Initially we decided to disable the reshaping of the Section-Elevation Lines which are in the "Elevation" configuration. We now see that was an oversight and this has already been changed for SP2. If you have access to the betas you can try it in Beta 3.

ok thanks for the feedback. Is there a way to default it to section instead of elevation? if you see the screencaps above - in my original file when i created the interior elevation viewports it defaulted to "elevation" whereas when i started a new file and simply built 4 walls and created an interior elevation viewport it defaulted to "section".

@sara.t,

Try the following in the file you're having the issue in:

1. Select the Section-Elevation Marker tool in the Dim/Notes tool set.
  2. Click on the Tool Preferences button in the mode bar.
    The Section-Elevation Line Object Properties dialog will open.
  3. Change the Configuration popup to "Section".
    Note:  If the popup is disabled, click on the Style popup at the top of the dialog and select "Convert to Unstyled".  That will enable the Configuration popup.

Those steps should set the document defaults for newly placed Section-Elevation Lines when creating Interior Elevation Markers.

• Like 3