Not responding during import

I don't think that I have ever had this problem in my 7+ years using vectorworks/minicad. We just upgraded to VW 12.0.1 here and I'm now having problems importing autocad drawings. I rarely ever had to force quit vectorworks, but do so about 10 times a day now. [Mad] At first I thought it was the autocad drawings, but I've now had this problem with several clients' files... clients that we've dealt with for years with no problems. The solution that seems to work, is copying all of the autocad work and pasting it into a new autocad drawing. I can continue doing this, but I'd really rather not. This tends to be somewhat time consuming. Also, since when does vectorworks import an autocad drawing along with its reference files? I'm using a dual 1.8 GHz PowerPC G5 running Mac osx version 10.4.5. This problem has nothing to do with file size, because I can import a 20MB drawing within a minute.

When I posted this message I had waited on a specific file to import for over thirty minutes to see if it would eventually "respond". After about five failed attempts with that file, it successfully imported within about ten seconds with no problems. I tried the same file again after one success, but had no luck. I've tried about five more times, waiting about two minutes for each and then force quitting. Currently, my two solutions are to try repeatedly until it works or to get off my ass and go to the PC, but it's still early and I haven't had my second cup of coffee, so I guess I'll be patient. I was just told that our 12.0.1 update was downloaded from the internet and that may pose problems. Within the next ten minutes I should be working on 12.0.1 installed directly from the cd, so we'll see if that makes a difference.

We are having similar problems importing Autocad files. During the import process Vectorworks crashes and we then have to force quit the programme. Usually after about 3or4 attempts for some unknown reason the process works and the autocad files are imported.

John Ryan

CPR Architects - Dublin

VW12.01 OS10.4.4 G52Ghz 2Mb RAM

• 3 weeks later...
[Mad][Confused] So... I posted this topic a few weeks ago and am sad to see that most of you don't share my pain... and as you probably know, misery loves company. This problem is starting to piss me off [Mad] Sometimes I like to make use of the batch import and walk away from my computer. I can't ever use this option since the upgrade. I'll come back and, if I'm lucky, have one successfully converted file and the whole process is hosed up. We just upgraded to autocad 2007 as well and now have to save down to autocad 2000 (V12 doesn't recognize these files) before importing (which I was use to with autocad 2005, so that's not my big concern). My, hopefully well received, frustration comes from this, what was once a joyously simple task, becoming a tedious nuisance.