CALLOUTS AND KEYNOTES

We use a database of keynotes based on CSI spec section numbers and when we place them we don't place them in numerical order.  This is an issue because the keynote legend is based on the order that the note was dropped.  Does anyone have a work around to reorder the keynotes in the legend to be sorted in ascending order?  I know I can edit the legend and move them up and down manually but this is more work than should be necessary. 

Sample file is attached. 

image.thumb.png.29295c0ea3fb40d9ccf2a46733107150.png

CALLOUTS AND KEYNOTES.vwx

• Like 1

Ha!  I knew I could drag them up and down but I did not realize pressing the bar at the top would sort them.   Weird thing is that they are still out of order in your example.  Pressing the sort button on the number column does not work but it does work when I press the Description column.  Thank you so much for the insight. 

I did create a worksheet to display and sort my keynotes because I could not get this to work.   I may still end up using the worksheet because I can filter keynotes by sheets and layers rather than going through the process of assigning keynotes to individual keynote lists.  

FYI the hidden value to display the text of a keynote is ='Callout'.'Text'

image.thumb.png.b79d6397222fd2b555646035b66422a2.png

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

@The Hamma

Thank you for your excellent, simple tutorial on the Keynote DB process as I was going in circle with VW help(less). We also use the CSI MasterFormat for our Architectural, Structural and MEP sheet Keynotes and in our schedule of values for construction costing.  I'm pretty well versed in knowing my numbers but being able to search the keynote dialog box with specific text would help many, and myself at times, to find something we don't use often. Our DB is over 5,000 items across most divisions.

When placing a Keynotes, there is a "Notes Description in Database" with a search Icon next to it. But it searches the Keynote Numbers and not the Text description. Perhaps my DB needs an additional row to search to text descriptions because it nets nothing, even if I type in a full description. What are you doing to make your  DB text descriptions searchable?  Attached is a sample of the format we have our data in.

Also, I have supplemented the 00 Division with a series of "Comment" notes like "Line of roof above" or "NIC"  that aren't part of a division. How do you handle keynoting non-division items?

Thanks for your input.

image.thumb.png.4599cb6aac103d0aa305bc8ffa3d46c0.png

1 hour ago, Scott Schwartz, AIA said:

Thank you for your excellent, simple tutorial on the Keynote DB process

You are welcome, I am glad it helped!

Anyone else looking for the tutorial they can find it here -> 

What are you doing to make your  DB text descriptions searchable? 

Of course, I have all 5,000 keynotes memorized, don't you? I wish! Unfortunately, as you said there is no search option so I open the keynote.txt file with Notepad++ and use it to search for the keynote.  I have requested that feature to be added.

Also, I have supplemented the 00 Division with a series of "Comment" notes like "Line of roof above" or "NIC"  that aren't part of a division. How do you handle keynoting non-division items?

That is a good way to do that.  I have them in division 01 10 00 SUMMARY.  You can also create another database but you would have to switch back and forth, but the keynote legend would show both keynote databases in the same legend.   

Edited by The Hamma
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...