Lighting Accessory Tool - Clamps

I've crashed VW a dozen times trying to get a (double) clamp to attach to the yoke of a Solaris Flare LR. I've spent about 2 hours trying to get this to work. While I appreciate the ability to modify a manufacturer's clamp, this is not working for me.

It would be great if someone could attach the clamps to the yoke (300mm off center in each direction), and send me the file, properly attached to a lighting pipe or truss. I'm assuming that would trigger the same issues I've been running up against, and am too tired to type out or screenshot at this point.

Edited by Mark Aceto

OK screenshot and file attached. This is as close as I can get it. The base of the clamp is 2.75" away from the base of the yoke. It's either this or it grabs the pipe in the wrong place.

Also a bug: VW will get stuck in the Edit Accessories mode, and the file has to be closed, and then reopened.

Final thought: I’d really like to “roll my own” clamps. 9x out of 10, it’s just gonna be an aluminum half burger (the stock symbol is fine).

Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 6.19.24 PM.png

solaris clamp.vwx

Edited by Mark Aceto
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@Mark Aceto Here you go.  In order to get things to line up correctly I performed the following steps:

-Align the 3D geometry so that the center of the clamp is centered on the pipe.

-If you want to show two clamps have two instances of the 3D geometry in clamp symbol.

-Exit the symbol and attach the Parts record to the symbol.

-Choose Base to be true for the symbol.

-Use the accessory tool to insert the clamp.

solaris clamp attached.vwx

Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 9.19.49 AM.png

• Like 2

@JustinVH

Also: not positioning the lighting device in a yoked out (90deg X rotation) position helped immensely (and I *suspect* that may be what was causing crashes).

I'm still having issues with my homegrown farm-to-table half coupler:

• The lighting device wants to insert itself in the wrong place on the pipe
  • For clarification: do I want to attach the data record to the symbol itself (no geometry selected) or not to the symbol itself (only geometry selected; except the locus)?
  • Note: grouping the objects did not help me; it caused them to fly all over the place, taking the yoke with them

Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 7.51.09 AM.png

Edited by Mark Aceto

@JustinVH thanks for the explanation of the process to add clamps as accessories.  I was having the same problems as @Mark Aceto

Supplemental question: Can we pre-add clamps to lighting devices so they come in from the resource manager with the most common clamp for that lighting device already attached? Or if we're running clamps as accessories do they need to be added every time a lighting device is added to the drawing?

• Like 1

Hi @JustinVH, thanks for the clarification.  I think where I was going wrong when pre-adding clamps was I attached the Lighting Info/Parts record to the clamp symbol after I had added it to the 3D geometry of the lighting device (from within the Edit 3D Component window for the lighting device).  In this process VWX recognises the clamp as an accessory, but not it's correct placement for hanging on a lighting pipe.

140151259_Screenshot2020-10-09at20_24_31.thumb.png.d180fa19c9f80d1dc83620e88c258cde.png

If I attached the Lighting Info/Parts record to the clamp symbol first, and then add it to the 3D geometry of the lighting device (using the symbol insertion tool), it's correct placement is recognised:

1698583986_Screenshot2020-10-09at20_19_03.thumb.png.8d8daa329756921c163b56993583103f.png