v12 Door Tool

I've blown yet another 30 minutes trying to eliminate the threshold lines from a door inserted into a schematic-level plan. The threshold box is unchecked (you have to drill down deeply into the tool dialog boxes (that's plural) to even find it).

Anyone know how to make this work?

The Help resource is of no value. How much time is it appropriate to spend searching for an answer to something this simple?

Again, this tool really, really needs to be redesigned so that it is easy to use, so you don't need to make many decisions to get a simple representation.

[ 03-21-2006, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: ErichR ]

RGyori, I hadd not thought of that, but none of the break settings eliminate the wall/threshold lines.

jnr, turn off the sills class and the door swing disappears!

We should all send personal emails to Robert Anderson about this, because of some arcane connection he thinks doors have with reflected ceiling plans. I can't fathom the logic, but it appears that NNA knows better than the architects they serve. I've given up on that one, but would like to figure out how to get rid of the sill/threshold lines (since they don't always exist, and tend to graphically confuse the drawing).

The only "arcane connection" I've seen Robert make regarding doors between floor plans and RCP's is door openings. It's the way we crazy kids out in California do it. Show the opening and make the leaf and swing disappear for RCP's.

I do agree however that I have found very little documentation on the door&window sills/ceiling-main class use. Since I don't have the printed manuals handy, I searched the online manual and didn't find additional info after a few moments of searching . Though once explained it seems exceedingly straightforward and fundamentally easy to use.

ionw,

Showing the door jambs in the RCP isn't wrong.

Naturallly, you ought to be able to do anything you want. It's just that RCPs are way down the list of things that would logically drive graphic defaults. You gotta agree with that (even if you are from CA). No way is exactly the right way, we just ask that it be made KISS.

KISS is good. RCP'S are far removed from schematics. Now just three minor points:

1. in at least two topics you make it sound like Robert claims we want to show openings, leafs and swings on RCP's. He never said this. I would ask that you stop suggesting he stated this.

2. now if you look past the fact that the class setting is not well-documented in published manuals or online help (I can't find it anyway) isn't: For floor plans, turn on Sills class, turn off Ceiling-Main class. For RCPs, do the opposite. very much in keeping with KISS principles?

3. If one can do something is SD's that makes the transition to DD and CDs easier, wouldn't you want to do it? Especially if it takes no time, and a small bit of knowledge?

I, like you, get frustrated when things don't work the way I expect. I support you in this, but I would ask if your needs are fulfilled express this a little. This board is neither a place to only vent one's spleen, nor is it a place to be sycophantic supporters of what is given to us by NNA. I have done my best to express to NNA representatives that their presence is valued on this board. Just as we interact with our clients, we tend to work harder for those that appreciate when we solve a very sticky problem for them (yes, even those that our mistakes caused) than those that continue to tell us what we have failed at.

In short, call NNA on their shortcomings?I do?if they are able to help express some sort of thanks.

Respectfully,