Change all seating symbols

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Mark pipped me to the post!

You only need to do this once. Have you created seating sections or placed individual seats?

If you have individual seats you just need to select the seats and use 'replace with symbol in the object info pallatte.

If you have seating sections then select the section you need and click settings, then choose a new symbol.

If you have too many seating sections and this is taking too long!

Create a new blank file with your new desired seat in it. Make a note of the name of the symbol that is being used by the seating section. Rename your desired seat with the same name as the old incorrect seating symbol, then copy the desired seat from your new blank file and paste it into your old seating file...

When prompted tell Vectorworks to replace the seating symbol in the current document.

Voila!

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, TomWhiteLight said:

Mark pipped me to the post!

You only need to do this once. Have you created seating sections or placed individual seats?

If you have individual seats you just need to select the seats and use 'replace with symbol in the object info pallatte.

If you have seating sections then select the section you need and click settings, then choose a new symbol.

If you have too many seating sections and this is taking too long!

Create a new blank file with your new desired seat in it. Make a note of the name of the symbol that is being used by the seating section. Rename your desired seat with the same name as the old incorrect seating symbol, then copy the desired seat from your new blank file and paste it into your old seating file...

When prompted tell Vectorworks to replace the seating symbol in the current document.

Voila!

I've done them as seating sections. Both upper and lower. So, if I delete the symbol I'll delete either upper and lower together with the other one.

I'd like to have different colours on upper and lower, and preferable, small differences between different sections.

Is there a solution for this as well? 

Cheers!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Martin, Do you need to display differant colour in 2d or 3d or both?

If both - Duplicate the existing symbol the right click edit 2d  change colours edit 3d and do the same. Then select the seating sections you wish to change and chose new symbol in the settings dialogue.

If it is just 2d....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3mlachbe1isfdut/Seating Colours.mov?dl=0

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, TomWhiteLight said:

If both - Duplicate the existing symbol the right click edit 2d  change colours edit 3d and do the same. Then select the seating sections you wish to change and chose new symbol in the settings dialogue.

If it is just 2d....

Amazing! Thank you so much for taking the time!

I'll try this out straight away!

23 hours ago, TomWhiteLight said:

If it is just 2d....

Tom, thanks again for the great piece of advice! Worked out fine, but, it also changed the 3D symbol.

Is there a way to be able to turn this function on and of? Now it looks like this in 3D, which might be fine when showing the different seating sections, but won't really do the trick when presenting the venue.

Thanks!

image.thumb.png.a1f695d7250cc23b473d130156f6e112.png

Data Visualisation will change everything inside a wrapper element such as a symbol. To drill further into the symbol, you could put all the 2D elements into a group and name the group say G1

Then make a data visualisation using the Object Name function as the Display Criteria

641119391_Screenshot2020-10-02at13_21_25.thumb.png.e1b4df5786fdd7dc502540ae6d6f1acc.png

Only the objects inside the group will be changed. 

You could also investigate the new Materials resource functionality which would also give you the potential to just change the 2D attributes of an object that uses the same material and leave any 3D geometry alone.

Edited by markdd
  • Like 2
23 hours ago, markdd said:

Data Visualisation will change everything inside a wrapper element such as a symbol. To drill further into the symbol, you could put all the 2D elements into a group and name the group say G1

Then make a data visualisation using the Object Name function as the Display Criteria

641119391_Screenshot2020-10-02at13_21_25.thumb.png.e1b4df5786fdd7dc502540ae6d6f1acc.png

Only the objects inside the group will be changed. 

You could also investigate the new Materials resource functionality which would also give you the potential to just change the 2D attributes of an object that uses the same material and leave any 3D geometry alone.

Thanks!

There's so much knowledge in this forum which I'm super thankful for!

All the best!

Martin