Viewport rendering

BGD

Hi,

I have created a viewport showing perspective view of my garden design . In viewport's when I choose, OIP>Background render>Artistic renderworks, the whole plan gets the sketcky look but there is no sketch for the plants. Is there a way that it shows plants in a sketchy way as well on the viewports. All the required classes & layers are turned on.

Thanks for helping

image.png

Guest Alex Sagatov

@BGD- If someone else has a better way of handling this, I am all ears, but I would normally approach this in the following way:

First, a quick explanation: The "Plant" object you currently have in there are not showing up based on how they are built. Our default plant resources use Image Props in 3D which makes them significantly faster than using direct 3D geometry. In turn, they do not work well for render modes like this. The image prop is simply an image/texture on a plane, propped up in 3D... so a render mode like this doesn't really know how to display that. --- A fully modeled 3D plant (Such as VBVisual) also likely wouldn't work too well with a render mode like this as they will likely provide solid 3D planes where the different leaf/branch textures are located. Example:

Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 10.28.39 AM.png

Based on what you want, I feel like we would need to go at this with stacking viewports. For this workflow to work, your plants would likely need to be on their own design layer(s). Here is a quick example from a file I just threw together:

Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 10.25.01 AM.png

First, I started with a viewport that had all of the geometry besides the plants visible and used an artistic render mode. It came out looking like this:

Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 10.30.05 AM.png

I then duplicated that viewport, swapped the layer visibilities to just show my plant layer(s) and I used an OpenGL Render mode:

Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 10.32.19 AM.png

With the top, OpenGL viewport that includes the plants only... I then messed with image effects to get a grayed, no colors, slightly blurred look to try to match my other sketch as closely as I could (in ~3 minutes of testing):

Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 10.34.01 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-09-30 at 10.34.07 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 10.25.01 AM.png

If you want to send me over a copy of the file (direct message), I can mess with it a bit in your file specifically.

On 9/30/2020 at 1:04 PM, BGD said:

@Alex Sagatov That's a good innovative way of getting the sketched look. Just wondering, what was the last step you did once you got the effect on plants, as in how did you get both the layer visible (in their respective effect i.e. design plan in artistic rendering and plants in openGl with image effects)?

He most likely comped that together in an image editor outside of VWX.  

Guest Alex Sagatov
15 hours ago, scottmoore said:

He most likely comped that together in an image editor outside of VWX.  

@BGD @scottmoore - Sorry, I missed this notification yesterday!

This was all done directly inside of Vectorworks.

If I am understanding your question properly, I did this by stacking two viewports on top of each other. I had one viewport that was only displaying the plants and one that was displaying all other geometry.

I'll upload a quick video before lunch.

8 hours ago, Alex Sagatov said:

@BGD @scottmoore - Sorry, I missed this notification yesterday!

This was all done directly inside of Vectorworks.

If I am understanding your question properly, I did this by stacking two viewports on top of each other. I had one viewport that was only displaying the plants and one that was displaying all other geometry.

I'll upload a quick video before lunch.

Well duh, that is pretty genius!! 

• Like 1