Vecorworks 2021 constantly freezing

gytis15

Question

Hello, ive been using vectorworks 2021 architect for a few days and it seems to be constantly freezing (3-8 times a day) while performing simple tasks, like selecting a group and trying to put it onto a new class. froze and un-responding. just it seems to have no way of predicting, just happens randomly on a small file, I do have some imported DWG's maybe these could be causing some corruption? (note: these dwg files are very small (less than a MB)) Mac is new, so definitely software related. anyone else experiencing similar performance issues?

• Sad 1

14 answers to this question

I have exactly the same problem. Frustrating like H*ll. I can uderstand software crashing with complex computing, but as @gytis15 mentioned - simple tasks like selecting makes the Wheel of Doom running. And not  a couple of times a day - A couple of times in a quarter of an hour. Literally. Thankfully, insurers don't ask which software we use. They might raise our premium, due to elevated mental health hazard in workplace 😒.

I followed the reset procedure, restarted VW and it froze after the first click 🤷‍♂️.

I did migrate my workspace from 2020. Is there anything to do about it to make it work smoothly?

Edited by Michal Zarzecki

@Tamsin Slatter@Pat Stanford I haven't tried either of these. I have been using the standard workspaces from the outset. When I said I migrated one, I am actually not sure now. When VW prompted for migration I just went for it, so assumed that I did migrated the Workspace too.

I will try both proposals first thing. I can't work like that. the single Landscape Area I wanted to change and update the schedule took me 45 minutes, due to constant crashes. Not productive, I'm afraid 😭. And frustrating.

Are there any other things one needs to take into account or do when going from one version to another? To be honest, I haven't come across such issues with any other program. Even the GNU-licensed ones are more stable [despite being free and user made].

Unfortunately, I think you are part of a small minority of users having these kinds of problems. There are certainly a few of you, but if it was a wide spread problem there would be much more wailing and gnashing of teeth. That doesn't make it any better for you, but please give VW some credit for not releasing something they new to be seriously defective.

Something else to possibly try would be to do a clean install of both MacOS and VW on an external hard drive and boot from that drive. If it is still laggy and crashing then we can pretty much assume it is a hardware issue. If it runs smoothly, then it is likely some kind of software issue.

• Like 1

My 2017 Quad i7 iMAC with 48GB of RAM gets all huffy and sweaty when I do simple things, like pan, zoom, and draw a 2D polygon in VW 2021. My computer gets laggy, but not enough for me to troubleshoot. I did not migrate my 2020 user profile, but I am working on a file that originated in 2020. I'll add more info if I figure out what's going on.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
13 hours ago, Michal Zarzecki said:

@Tamsin Slatter@Pat Stanford I haven't tried either of these. I have been using the standard workspaces from the outset. When I said I migrated one, I am actually not sure now. When VW prompted for migration I just went for it, so assumed that I did migrated the Workspace too.

I will try both proposals first thing. I can't work like that. the single Landscape Area I wanted to change and update the schedule took me 45 minutes, due to constant crashes. Not productive, I'm afraid 😭. And frustrating.

Are there any other things one needs to take into account or do when going from one version to another? To be honest, I haven't come across such issues with any other program. Even the GNU-licensed ones are more stable [despite being free and user made].

The UK tech support team will contact you this morning @Michal Zarzecki.

It seems it's something wrong with that particular file. I have worked in a couple of other since and they were mostly fine - sometimes crushed completely, i.e. aborted VW.

Is there a way to diagnose where the source of corruption might be? I tried to move the contents across to a fresh file, but it does the same thing.

Also, for my sanity, I would like to understand what level of computing is needed to switch between layers etc. I can't believe that a slow graphic card would have much to do with problems with selecting objects and switching layers.

Is this something VW Tech Support Team can help with or perhaps a 3rd party diagnostics software?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
5 hours ago, EdM said:

Is anyone else finding this is becoming so disruptive literally freezing every 15 mins. 

At Pat mentioned above for another user, it sounds like you are part of a small minority of users experiencing this. This is definitely not the normal behaviour of the software. It would be best to contact the technical support team and have them assist you.

• Like 1