Anti Virus and VW12.0.01

Anybody having any problem?

We upgraded to 12.0.01 from 12 and we are now having problems with Norton anti virus detecting viruses and intrusions.

We are on a pc network of 2 pcs and we have checked for viruses - a full scan and there is none.

It seems that when we went into the resources browser vw was trying to download something from the web?!

This is the new UK version so is this a unique problem that perhaps it is trying to download the sanitary symbols!?

mw,

Are you using Norton Firewall? I'm using a different firewall now, but I recall that behavior resulting from having the firewall settings set to high security level. I think you can choose to set the firewall to allow or block access for individual programs within the custom firewall settings. I get an alert that VW is trying to access the internet when it starts up. A number of programs do this on startup as well. I'm assuming that they are checking for program updates, but I block them anyway because I don't know what they're up to.

It would be nice if these messages were less cryptic.

I have the US version.

George

nothing is not working really - the programme still continues to run - it's just that whenever i open vw on my computer (not the host pc) or michael opens vw on his (the host pc) i get these two norton messages:

when i open vw on my own pc i get a message saying that the intrusion is Portscan and that the intruder is my own computer id.

once michael opens up vw on his pc i also get a norton message saying that a remote system is attempting to access my computer and that if i have started a programme that requires internet access or file sharing i should tick permit to continue the programme.

i have been permitting this and the programme continues as normal.

we have changed the programme control of norton to permit everything from vw12, and so we are wondering why this still continues.

just checking really whether this is just something we have to put up with or whether it is actually doing some harm?

quote:

Originally posted by D Wood:

Of course, if you used Macs, you could trash Norton, and you wouldn't have these problems.................

I assume, David, you're referring to Mac OS's relative safety with regard to viruses? I'm not sure it's a good idea to advise people to dispense with virus protection on this basis but I'd agree with you about trashing Norton for the sake of trashing Norton... that application is rubbish.

If you're looking for light, fast virus protection for Mac OS X I'd recommend ClamXav: http://clamxav.com/

See also: http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2005/08/19/clamav.html

[ 03-28-2006, 04:49 AM: Message edited by: Christiaan ]

quote:

The only reason for Mac users to have anti-virus software is to protect dark side users, which is what the program you recommend does, but it does nothing for
your
Mac.

While this may have been true in the past, current reports indicate that it's not going to be true for long. The Microsoft Mac-Virus-Unit is working hard to remedy that.

ONLY JOKING!!

Seriously; viruses are here to stay, and Mac users need to recognise that even thought we have been relatively immune till now.

I did a review of reviews before buying Intego's product. It seemed to be the best from what I could see.

BTW, Nortons was generally found to be the worst of them in the reviews I read; some reviewers were quite contemptuous of it.

Cheers,

N.

[ 03-28-2006, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: propstuff ]

Nicholas & George

Thank you for your considered replies - I have followed all the suggested links, but with all due respect, I remain unconvinced, especially by claims by anti-virus software companies (as Mandy Rice-Davies once famously said "They would say that, wouldn't they?") and that they don't cause slowing and interference with programs like VectorWorks, as found by the original poster.

When and if viruses for Macs become common (I mean rather more than one!) I'll look again, but Christiaan's ClamXav just protects other people's PC's via his Mac - why should Mac users protect the unenlightened? Better by far to encourage them to cross over!

quote:

I remain unconvinced, especially by claims by anti-virus software companies (as Mandy Rice-Davies once famously said "They would say that, wouldn't they?")

David,

I tend to agree with you; they would. Sophos in particular seem to be in the habit of trumpeting loudly that the sky is falling, -for issues that turn out to be a "beat-up".

and that they don't cause slowing and interference with programs like VectorWorks, as found by the original poster.

One of the reviewers' comments (and yes; Intego's claims) is that Intego's products are unusual in that they background without taking control of the bus regularly and causing it to drive in first gear.

I haven't noticed any performance issues since It's been installed.

Maybe I'll remove it and see if VW behaves differently. :-D

On the subject of quotes and virus protection; here's an old bit of mother's wisdom that might be appropriate:

"There'll be tears before bedtime if you children aren't carefull!"

;-)

N.

[ 03-28-2006, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: propstuff ]

quote:

The only reason for Mac users to have anti-virus software is to protect dark side users, which is what the program you recommend does, but it does nothing for
your
Mac.

While I don't use any anti-virus software David I don't think your advice is good.

The program scans files on your computer and flags potential viruses, whether they're targetted at Macs or Windows. That there are no viruses actively attacking Mac OS X is beside the point. The whole point of anti-virus software like ClamXav is prevention.

Secondly, even if the number of viruses actively attacking Mac OS X remains at zero there are other reasons why anti-virus software doesn't simply benefit Windows and Linux users, for instance general internet stability and multi-platform environments, including those who use Virtual PC.

The easiest thing to do, as I've suggested above, is to set a rule in Norton to ignore all requests from VectorWorks. The alternative is to lower the security level set in Norton.

The only time you would receive a message from Norton about VectorWorks is soon after the launch of VW and if Norton is set to an overly high security level.

quote:

Originally posted by michael john williams:

Thanks for all your replies, but.......VW is still not working with Norton on a pc peer to peer network. This thread has got a bit side tracked and I would appreciate some help on this.

Have you tried blocking Vectorworks? And have you tried Katie's suggestion above?

As I have already said I have tried the suggestions, including Katie's suggestion - I have set a rule in Norton Programme Control to Permit All to VW on both pcs and still the virus warnings of intruder keep popping up. Now I could just sit here and click away all day each and everytime they come up but that does really resolve an annoying problem slowing things down.

It does not seem to happen on the host but virus messages pop up on the other pc as soon as the host opens vw. I think something in the General Rules of Norton needs changing to permit a certain network configuration but that is beyond me. But this is only a simple 2 pc peer to peer network and so someone must be able to resolve it?

mw,

Are you getting Virus warnings or Access (Firewall) alerts? You might want to reverse the setting to Block All for VW.

If you have Norton Internet Security, try this:

1. Open the Norton Internet Security window.

2. Open the Internet Security tab (not the Anti Virus).

3. Select Pesonal Firewall - Configure. In the window that opens, select the Programs Tab. This opens the Program Control section.

4. In the Manual Program Control window, add VW if it is not there & se to block.

Set both computers the same & give it a try for a while. You can always remove this block if it interferes with network setup.

I wonder what percentage of our time is spent fending off threats (real & imagined) compared to doing something productive.

George