Title Blocks wandering off

EvelyneB

Hello,

I'm using Vectorworks Architect 2020 SP5, and I have chronic issues with my title blocks. These occur regularly in multiple files, and I've tried rebuilding the title blocks (convert to group, then create new symbol) but to no avail. Here are the issues:

Issue #1) At random, the title block wanders waaaaaay off from the page. The perimeter around the page remains and is selectable, but the actual title block geometry and text have moved far off to the right and (oddly enough) the three data stamps for plot date & file name tend to wander waaaay off to the left. To fix this, I go to edit title block layout for the TB style, and often it appear fine in edit mode, and just closing edit without changing anything will make it reappear correctly. Other times, when I edit the title block layout, it has moved off the page and I move it back again, where it stays... for a while before wandering off again.

Issue #2) When it isn't wandering off, the title block sometimes just becomes invisible. Still selectable, was fine a minute ago and I haven't touched it since, but the text and lines have suddenly vanished. The workaround fix here is to select the title block and click "Make all attributes by class" in the Attributes window. This causes the title block to reappear, then I "undo" and it is still visible but with the attributes as they should be (i.e. prior to "Make all attributes by class" and prior to being invisible).

What gives? This is driving me bananas and it a frustrating waste of time. The strangest thing is that these issues occur when I'm not working on the title blocks at all. I go back to sheet view from some other work in the file, and the title block has gone for a hike or is dabbling with invisibility (this is not a class visibility issue - I checked that!).

Any help would be much appreciated!

Attached images:

1) the wandering title block

2) The invisible-but-selectable title block

3) I've selected the tb and clicked "Make all attributes by class"

4) After command-Z undo of "Make all attributes by class" - this is what is was supposed to look like all along, better it went invisible.

Wandering title block.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 2.55.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 2.55.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 2.55.37 PM.png

Edited by EvelyneB
  • Like 1

I don't use title block styles but create my own title blocks. When looking at the styles and applying them there was some message about replacing the existing title block (when selecting a title block style in the OIP), merging with the existing one etc. When selecting replacing there was a warning it could lead to loss of information etc.

Have you, or someone else working on the drawing, perhaps replaced a title block instead of merging and as a result have the issues you are seeing?

Just a possibility.

1 hour ago, EvelyneB said:

Issue #1) At random, the title block wanders waaaaaay off from the page. The perimeter around the page remains and is selectable, but the actual title block geometry and text have moved far off to the right and (oddly enough) the three data stamps for plot date & file name tend to wander waaaay off to the left. To fix this, I go to edit title block layout for the TB style, and often it appear fine in edit mode, and just closing edit without changing anything will make it reappear correctly. Other times, when I edit the title block layout, it has moved off the page and I move it back again, where it stays... for a while before wandering off again.

This is likely an issue with your custom title block. Without having a file it would be hard to solve. It sounds like the title block is trying to centre itself in relation to auto-updating fields with long text boxes (probably the file name).

1 hour ago, EvelyneB said:

Issue #2) When it isn't wandering off, the title block sometimes just becomes invisible. Still selectable, was fine a minute ago and I haven't touched it since, but the text and lines have suddenly vanished. The workaround fix here is to select the title block and click "Make all attributes by class" in the Attributes window. This causes the title block to reappear, then I "undo" and it is still visible but with the attributes as they should be (i.e. prior to "Make all attributes by class" and prior to being invisible).

This is some sort of graphics bug in VW2020. It happens to me all the time. It seems to be fixed in VW2021.

Kevin

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @EvelyneB,

1) Could you send me a sample test file with the TBB wandered away so that I can try to see what is causing this issue?

2) As @Kevin McAllister mentioned above, this should be fixed in VW2021. The reason for it in VW 2020 is most probably a reset of the Title Block object while it is not visible, usually caused by modifying document wide Title Block Data.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• Like 1

Thank you all for your help. Here is a file where the title block issue is present, for your diagnosis. I use two different custom title blocks, so there are two sheet layers to demonstrate them. The one on sheet SD-1 has the wandering issue at the moment (at least it does when I open the file - it's so sporadic that it could be different for you). The title block in A-400 appears to be behaving itself for now, but I've had issues with the same TB at other times.

200929_Title block issue v2.vwx

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Thanks for the test file @EvelyneB.

I have tested this a bit and it seems that the problem comes from the Data Stamp objects in your Title Blocks. These objects have Z value different than 0 and this seems to be causing the issue. For now, you can set the Z value of these objects to be 0 and the issue should be fixed. Anyway, I will try to fix this, so that this does not cause such issues.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• Like 2